Darkroom ventiliation- using dryer vent?

Discussion in 'Darkroom Equipment' started by domaz, Mar 5, 2009.

1. domaz

domaz Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My darkroom sink is setup right next to my washer/dryer as this makes the plumbing quite easy. It works well but I still haven't setup any sort of ventiliation in my darkroom (which is located in the basement/laundry room). I'm not excited about the prospect of poking holes in the walls to setup a vent though. My idea was to find or make a "y" adapter for the dryer exhaust tubing so that both a darkroom fan and my dryer can vent out the same hole (not at the same time of course). Has anyone tried something like this before?

2. glbeas

glbeas Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You would need a oneway flap of some kind to keep the dryer from pumping lint laden air into the darkroom instead of outside. Sounds like it could work otherwise.

3. waynecrider

waynecrider Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm
    All dampered Y's or T's leak air to some degree. Might work out for you in the winter to heat the darkroom with the dryer but otherwise not. Besides who's to say the ventilation wouldn't come out the dryer. There's nothing in the dryer to stop it. Your best best is to poke a hole out. I've done a thousand and it's not that hard. Tap to find a hollow spot if your poking thru block and use a small sledge and chisel or run a long drill thru a wood wall and use a jig saw or better yet a sawzall.

4. MikeSeb

MikeSeb Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Whatever you do about ventilation, you don't want dryer effluent air spewing into the darkroom area--you will be knee deep in dryer lint and you'll never get rid of it.

5. jeroldharter

jeroldharter Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Agreed. Dryers are dust bombs. Every time you clean out the filter you put a huge amount of dust into the air. I would do that in another room, especially if you dry/load film in that area. Folding clothes in there is another problem.

I once had a darkroom in a woodworking shop. Dust does not help the photographic process.

6. OP
    OP
    domaz

domaz Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes my darkroom is very dusty because it's in a basement with a dryer. Not much I can do about that right now though. Luckily the basement room is a good size so the enlarger is a ways away from the dryer. Thanks for the responses- it looks like I need to just punch a hole in the wall though, because finding a y-adapter with some kind of switching system is going to be difficult I think.

7. John Koehrer

John Koehrer Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    For S&G look at dust collector systems used in woodworking. They use shut offs to isolate individual tools.
    If nothing else you can modify the vents for the drying system you're using.
    rockler.com is one supplier.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.