D76 query

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by Blighty, Feb 1, 2009.

1. Blighty

Blighty Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Fellow Apuggers,
    When I mix up D76 from scratch, I usually make just one litre of stock solution. I used to weigh out several batches of each of the chemicals (and bag them up) so I could easily make up another batch when needed without farting about weighing all the ingredients again. The trouble with this, and admittedly it's only a minor problem, is that it becomes quite heavy on the little plastic bags I use for storing the weighed out ingredients. Like the Ilford or Kodak products, can I package any of the raw chemicals together e.g. the hydroquinone with the borax or, perhaps more to the point, which chemicals should I avoid storing together?

2. jim appleyard

jim appleyard Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I think you need to keep the metol and sulfite separate. I think this is why Ilford sells ID-11 in two bags.

3. PhotoJim

PhotoJim Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Kodak adds sequestering agents to prevent the chemicals from reacting together. If you did the research and could figure it out, you could do the same, but I imagine Kodak's not keen to tell the secret.

Honestly, I'd suggest that if you find mixing from scratch to be a nuisance, buying prepackaged D76 is the best solution. It's far more convenient, if somewhat more expensive. Alternatively, depending on how quickly you use your D76, you could make two or three litres at a time.

4. Photo Engineer

Photo Engineer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You need to keep the HQ and Metol separate from the Carbonate or Borax in any developer you scratch mix and store. Mixing alkali and developing agents is a NO-NO.

Also, the sulfite should be packed with the developing agents.

This is a rough rule of thumb.

PE

5. Keith Tapscott.

Keith Tapscott. Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  6. OP
    OP
    Blighty

Blighty Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format