CPE2 questions

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by malcao, Feb 8, 2009.

1. malcao

malcao Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have a CPE2 and would like to try it with 4x5" film. The drum that I have is a 2820 test drum. I understand that I need a 2521 drum and a 2509N film reel. My questions: Do I also need a 2508 loader base and a 2512 loader guide? And will they make loading real easy?

I have read previous posts about people having problems with uneven development with the 2509, is that fixed with the 2509N? Please feel free to comment and add your experience with the CPE2 + 2509N!

2. trexx

trexx Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I tend not to use the loading base. it lines up the sheet and places an ever so slight bend to the film to ease insertion. But with practice I becomes easy t o do with out the loader. the hardest part is remembering which slot to load. The old style lacked a baffle that the new includes and aides in even development.

I think there is an equipment forum better suited.

3. bdial

bdial Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I tried the loader base once and put it away. The hard part for me is figuring out where each slot starts. I solve that partly by always starting with the inner-most slot and working outward. Also, I find it helpful to alternate sides so there is film on both sides of the reel.

For me uneveness problems were solved by using the baffles and running at high (2) speed, which is a recommendation I read somewhere on Jobo's website.

4. Bruce Osgood

Bruce Osgood Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have a CPE 2+ and use the 2509 tank and 2509N reel. I've never used a loader and dicided at the start to learn to load the reel by hand. That I have done. It is frustrating at times and other times it is so easy you wonder if you did it right.

I do at most 4 sheets at a time and use the 270 mL capacity. I've never had a streak but I do a 3-5 minute pre wash with tap water. My CPE turns only at 75 rpm and that is considered fast, another reason to pre wash/soak.

5. Mick Fagan

Mick Fagan Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The 2820 test drum and the 2521 film drum are the same tank, but with either a sticker for paper and capacity or film and capacity. The 2840 print drum is composed of two parts; the smaller part is the 2820/2521 drum, so if you see a 2830 print drum you can use this as it is effectively the same drum as the 2551 film drum. This drum allows the usage of two 2509 reels. Use 600ml of developer and drum, but do not attempt to use a bigger tank like the 2840 print drum with three 2509 reels. The amount of solution required is too much for the small motor on the CPE2 units. It will work for a while, but I have personal experience with a few friends who have burnt their motors out.

So you have the drum situation covered. However you will require a centre core to seal the light out. The centre core from the 1520 film tank, is the same centre core required for using one 2509 reel, you will need one of these.

The 2509 reel, (which is what I have) will hold 6 sheets of 4x5” film, I use 4 sheets only as I found there were evenness of developing with the 6 sheet in film with huge amounts of sky or similar. The 2509N reels may be different; you will have to check your own situation out.

I have the 2508 film loader and the appropriate film guide for 4x5” film. Whilst I can and have loaded without the 2508 loader, I find the loader and guide to be ideal for my situation. If you really wish to ensure repeatability and a minimum amount of film holding with hot and sticky fingers, you may find the film loader to be good for you.

Whilst the amount of solution required is 270ml, I use 300ml for ease of calculation and an added safety factor from the Jobo chemistry capacity.

The CPE2 with lift is one of the better ways to develop film, especially C41 and E6 with their precise times and in the case of C41, short developing time.

Mick.

6. Bob F.

Bob F. Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Loading the reels by hand only is a bit of an acquired skill but once mastered is reasonably easy - just check that you have loaded the film in the correct slot as you go along by feeling the gap between the negatives at each end. I've never used the loader gadget. I load from the outside in - no particular reason, I just do.

If keeping track of which negative is which is important, you can notch the edge of one side of the reel with a needle-file or knife so you can feel it in the dark and load that side first; the two sides are otherwise identical with three slots each side for the negatives. You can feel the centre locating bosses for the snap-on pieces with your finger which makes fitting them easy.

Be aware that there are two types of drum: one that uses a magnet on the base to fit the CPE2 without the lift and another that uses a cog lid that mates with the lift mechanism. If you get a magnetic drum and upgrade to the lift later, you can fit a new cap that has the cog which is available separately.

Have fun, Bob.

7. OP
    OP
    malcao

malcao Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks, for all the feedback. I think the best thing for me is to find a 2509N and see if I can load it and hope that things works out ok. Or are we all doomed to end up with a Expert drum :wink:

8. Bruce Osgood

Bruce Osgood Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    malcao, it can be done. It is a matter hand - eye coordination IN THE DARK! I'm left handed and I can do it. Just make sure the notches are on the upper right as you look at the film holding it vertically. See: