Cool Brochure for Beseler Universal 45 VC/Color head

Discussion in 'Enlarging' started by mshchem, Jan 5, 2018.

1. mshchem

mshchem Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I found this artifact on the web its a copy of the 1991 Brochure on Beseler's new Universal head I have one of these it's pretty cool. I'm looking for a virgin 8573 VC controller. The 8573 I have sometimes has sticky buttons that make it difficult to adjust timer. I have the color controller too, it works great, any way here's a link.

http://www.squashphotos.com/ebaystuff/webBeselerUniversal45SystemBrochure.pdf

I printed off two copies as I know that I will be able to read a piece of paper. Digital is as ephemeral as the morning dew.

Best Regards, Mike

2. wiltw

wiltw Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thx much, Mike! I have the Universal 45 head with color controller, and love it. Purchased it new, back around 1992 or 1993. While I have the PDF brochure for my 45V-XL, I previously did not have one for the color head. I regret that I do not currently have a darkroom in my home to take advantage of its use

As for your sticky button, you can try getting some electrical contact cleaner, squirt it into the switch and then working the switch vigorously...likely you simply have some dust on the contacts or oxidation of the contacts.
    http://www.eastwood.com/crc-qd-contact-cleaner-aerosol.html
    https://www.perfectcircuitaudio.com/hosa-d5s-6.html

Last edited: Jan 6, 2018
  3. OP
    OP
    mshchem

mshchem Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thanks for the info. I was reluctant to spray anything into the keyboard. Looks like the contact cleaner you mentioned wouldn't do any harm. I've had the color controller which I got with the head used, it works like new. Picked up the VC controller recently, I will try the cleaner, go slow, see how it goes.
    This head looks like the best thing Beseler came up with. Now if I can just get the buttons cleaned and degunked maybe all will be good
    Best Regards Mike

4. DREW WILEY

DREW WILEY Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Might have to take the thing apart and sand the button cover a little. I have four of these controllers, but exactly one button that annoys me in this manner. Whenever it gets stuck, once it stops, I just back the cc value back down to where I want it with the opposite button. Minor problem.

5. OP
    OP
    mshchem

mshchem Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I
    I do wonder if it is just rubbing up against the metal cover. Have you corrected a sticking button by sanding the cover? I was thinking about trying some spray contact cleaner, very sparingly. I'm going to figure this thing out. The VC controller is currently in route back to me. I sent it back then changed my mind. I think I am a bit obsessed.
    Best Mike

6. OP
    OP
    mshchem

mshchem Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Medium Format
  7. DREW WILEY

DREW WILEY Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Yes, it's just rubbing. You have to be careful with contact cleaner. It will remove grime; but so will PEC film cleaner. That won't help dimensional expansion/contraction issues.

8. OP
    OP
    mshchem

mshchem Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thanks a bunch! It sure looks like simple mechanical interference to me. I will hold off on any sprays. If I do try cleaning it will use a Q-tip with care. I'm really interested in trying out this head.
    With the VC setup the instructions tell you to replace the red filter with a clear filter. I have no idea where I could possibly find a clear filter? As long as I'm not printing graded paper, do I need to remove the red filter? I'm not sure about focusing, if the VC controller uses the center lamp for focusing, I either remove the red filter or focus with red light. I'm still waiting for the VC controller box to get back to me.
    Thanks so much for the guidance.
    Best Regards Mike

9. DREW WILEY

DREW WILEY Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    The clear filter merely removes some IR and maybe some UV. Otherwise you could merely loosen the screw and remove the red filter and either leave the position blank or order an equivalent size square dichroic coated glass filter from Hoya or Edmund etc.

10. DREW WILEY

DREW WILEY Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Or you just leave the red filter in with the standard controller. You can just use the magenta button to increase contrast on VC paper, or Y for decrease. But to split print, set both magenta and cyan clear to the top to get pure blue, or cyan and yellow to the top to get pure green.

11. OP
    OP
    mshchem

mshchem Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Got it, I will probably just leave the red filter alone. That way I can use it as color or VC by switching out the controller . I know that I could just as well used the color controller for everything. I guess I just wanted all the gizmos.
    Thanks for the help!
    Best Mike

12. OP
    OP
    mshchem

mshchem Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I got my box back. Tried a couple things but the buttons are still not right. I am looking for someone who could replace some of these switches. Any ideas? The color controller and head work great so I can do everything with that. Split printing, VC, color. I just want to have this darn box working at 100%. Thankfully it functions fine, except for the difficult buttons. Even as it is, I can use it, but, I want it right. Anyone out there that knows of a shop that can solder switches onto a 25 year old unit let me know.
    Thanks

13. DREW WILEY

DREW WILEY Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Sizable cities often have specialty stores catering to Gyro Gearloose types and ham radio operators - hobbyists who still work with soldering irons and vacuum tubes. They can often refer you to someone qualified, and might even carry components. Searching the web for electrical parts can be more tedious, but that is an option too. Someday I'll just pull the steel cover off my own problem unit and slightly widen the square hole with a small file or Dremel tool.

14. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You will have to examine one of the switches to match it to a replacement. For example, someone trashed the remote that came with my Durst. All 4 switches were busted. Mouser had replacements for just a few dollars.
    Screen shot 2018-01-11 at 10.31.44 PM.png

15. OP
    OP
    mshchem

mshchem Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    This may be the ticket. I pulled the PCB out, I'm going to remove a switch and see if I can get an ID. I will try Beseler see if they can help. I don't know if they have anyone that has time to mess with this.
    This is just the kind of info I'm looking for thanks.
    Best Regards Mike

16. OP
    OP
    mshchem

mshchem Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Look at my other posting I fixed the box

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.