Convert a Beseler neg carrier 8074 (plain glass) to an 8072 (AN glass)?

Discussion in 'Darkroom Equipment' started by Jerry Thirsty, Feb 24, 2009.

1. Jerry Thirsty

Jerry Thirsty Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hi all,

I'm in the process of acquiring a Beseler 23CIII enlarger, and I was looking for a negative carrier on eBay for it. At first I was looking for an 8072 universal A-N glass negative carrier, but the only one I saw was in the completed items, and went for $120:surprised: But the 8074 is going for $20 or so. I figure a piece of A-N glass from Focal Point will probably cost me around $25 all told. Is there any reason I won't be able to just swap out the glass? They aren't welded together or anything, are they?

TIA.

2. Tim Gray

Tim Gray Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I almost bought an 8074 on ebay. It looks like the glass is held in the same way as it is in the 8072 - two retaining clips with screws. I ended up with an 8072 actually, but it needed new glass. I bought one clear piece and one AN piece from Focal Point and I think it cost $25 for both. So, you should probably be able to do it. Actually, it doesn't even matter if the glass size is different or something, just contact Focal Point and send in your glass and he'll cut new glass to spec.

3. OP
    OP
    Jerry Thirsty

Jerry Thirsty Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Excellent, thanks Tim.

4. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'll second that on Focal Point.