Contax /Pentax M42

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by colin wells, Dec 21, 2017.

1. colin wells

colin wells Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Has anyone used Pentax Super Takumar M42 fitting lenses on their Contax/Yashica outfits .I have a few M42 fit lenses Carl Zeiss and pentax in M42 doing nothing and was informed that they could be used on the Contax /Yashica .

2. E. von Hoegh

E. von Hoegh Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Contax-Yashica was a bayonet mount. Earlier Yashicas used m42. There might be a glassless adapter for m42 on C-Y bayonet that preserves infinity focus.

3. MrBrowning

MrBrowning Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  4. OP
    OP
    colin wells

colin wells Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Yes that is the adapter i have found .I was just wondering if anyone had used one on a Contax/Yashica and what the results were .As i said i have a number of Pentax and Carl Zeiss lenses doing nothing .I know they will focus to infinity .It just seems a good way to use some classic glass that is doing nothing .

5. E. von Hoegh

E. von Hoegh Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That would do it, preserves infinity but requires stopdown metering.

6. MrBrowning

MrBrowning Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Since you already have the lenses I would think it would be worth it. As already said the only downside is you have to use stop down metering however in my opinion that's not that big of a deal.

7. Jeff L

Jeff L Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I use an M42 to C/Y mount (like the one in the link) to use a Zeiss Jena 135 f3.5 on my Yashica and Contax bodies. The one I have works well, but of course it's stop down metering.

8. Larry Cloetta

Larry Cloetta Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    I have a lot of nice M42 glass and a nice Spotmatic, and a nice SV, but for me a Contax/Yashica body plus an M42 adapter is the best body for M42 lenses (though I don't have a Bessamatic which would be the only thing which might be better, maybe, but it will cost a lot more). Brighter viewfinders, much higher available shutter speeds, auto exposure modes, easier metering experience (even considering the stop down). It is a much better solution than it might sound on paper. Just try it to be convinced. Something like a Contax 139Q is dirt cheap, and as small as an SV if not smaller. Plus you can use Contax lenses on them too.
    If this isn't obvious, and it might not be, just try it and you will likely be quickly convinced. I know there is something nice and "pure" about a Spotmatic, but a nice C/Y body is just easier to take epictures with. FWIW, I have owned M42 bodies from pretty much every other M42 brand as well.

9. OP
    OP
    colin wells

colin wells Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Ah Larry yours was the post i was after lol .I have a number of Contax/Yashica bodys RST 1 ,139Q and a Yashica FR1 .I pick up the Carl Zeiss ,Pentax ,Helios M42 lenses for next to nothing in thrift/charity shops i dont pay more than a £5 for any lense so for top class glass that is nothing and at last i have a use for all these top lenses .Stop down metering dosnt bother me at all my other passion is Canon cameras and i have a number of FL bodys and lenses .Thanks for all the replies

10. cooltouch

cooltouch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    Colin mentioned Canon cameras. Just a quick FYI: Canon made an M42 to Canon FL/FD adapter. I have a couple of them. Made from aluminum. They're compact, but they get the job done.

11. OP
    OP
    colin wells

colin wells Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    cooltouch i have just found an original Canon adapter on evilbay for FD to M42 i may give this a try for my Ftb s Thanks for the heads up

12. dynachrome

dynachrome Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I have an adapter for using M42 lenses with Y/C mount cameras/accessories. I think the most clever adapter for using M42 lenses on a bayonet mount camera is the Mamiya P adapter for using M42 lenses on the Auto XTL/Auto X1000. You not only get stop down metering (spot or averaging), you also get auto diaphragm function. I sometimes use M42 lenses with an adapter on Minolta X700 and Canon F-1 cameras. In some situations, the bright finders of these cameras offset the inconvenience of the loss of auto diaphragm operation. In both situations I use a grid type screen. For the Canon, it's the L D.

13. G1DRP

G1DRP Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I occasionally use m42 glass on my Canon A1. I have an original Canon FD to m42 adapter which still allows infinity focus.

14. flatulent1

flatulent1 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've been using M42 lenses on my T90 and 6D. Colin (above) reminded me that my Contax bodies will also take M42 lenses, so it's off to ebay I go, in search of the appropriate adapter!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.