Confused: always did 1-shot development but want to reuse....

Kodachrome Skies

A
Kodachrome Skies

The Dive

A
The Dive

Edinburgh nights

Edinburgh nights

Recent Classifieds

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
swededreams
Recent bookmarks

sperera

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
OK I'm confused...I've always used one-shot development...always.......but nowadays I have to order developer and everything else from either Spain or UK as not available in Gibraltar anymore and thus I'd like to make the developer last.....

So, I've literally just mixed up 5 litres of Xtol and split it into 5 x 1 litre bottles as per advice i found here on Apug from you guys.....so I have the 5 litres of Xtol.

I'm reading the information by Kodak on XTol and it tells me I can develop 15 rolls per litre with time compensation. Fine, that's easy to understand.

BUT I normally develop 1 roll at a time every now and again and thus only use 500ml for a 120 roll....

2. also, im advised to think of a replenished method for Xtol.....can you explain that too?

So my question are:

1) how does this translate to using 500ml in a Paterson tank IF ive decided to use the Xtol and full strength???????? Does this mean i pour 500ml out of my 5 litre stock, develop the film nd then stick it back into the 1 litre bottle with the 'virgin 500ml thats left? so how many rolls and what time compensation do I need now??????

Im sure im confusing the issue here.......

dpurdy

Shooter
8x10 Format
And to make matters worse, not all films follow the same extension pattern. I do the extension method and of the films I process, both Ilford FP4 and Fuji Acros need much more extensions at least after awhile.

As to the 1 liter vs half liter, it might be a good idea to get a liter size tank if they have one.
Dennis

Shooter
Multi Format
Read the Kodak data sheet on the matter. There is instruction how to replenish.

Use 1L as your volume for working solution. Store it in a dedicated jar. Mark it "Xtol Dev" or similar. Then mark the rest of the 1L bottles "Xtol Repl".
From the "Xtol Dev" bottle, extract the volume you need to process your film after you have heated/cooled it to the temp you intend to use it at.
During processing, pour 70-100ml of fresh Xtol (per roll of 36exp 35mm film or equivalent film area) from one of the "Xtol Repl" bottles into the "Xtol Dev" bottle. When you are finished with the developing cycle, top off the "Xtol Dev" bottle with your processing volume, and discard what remains.

You can keep doing this perpetually unless you contaminate the chemistry. You need to watch the contrast of your developed film and adjust agitation, dev time, and replenishment volume to stay consistent. It's not difficult and provides wonderful negatives.

Dev time? I have found, with my 2L working volume Xtol, that most films, require a normal time of about 8 minutes with agitation every 2 minutes.

I hope that helps.

pgomena

Another approach would be to buy long-lasting concentrates like HC-110 or Rodinal. Stuff keeps forever.

Peter Gomena

OP
OP
sperera

sperera

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
nice work by the way....love your 'by the water' series....there's an ethereal tranquility, serenity in the shots....

I get it about using 1 litre of developer at a time but what about using the developer in 500ml doses to develop 1 roll of 120 film at a time????????

OP
OP
sperera

sperera

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
Another approach would be to buy long-lasting concentrates like HC-110 or Rodinal. Stuff keeps forever.

Peter Gomena

yes, I'm gonna get HC-110 next....I'm trying out different developers to settle on my developer for the long haul that gives me quality at a good price. Perhaps one shot HC-110 sounds good....

Anscojohn

Subscriber
Shooter
Medium Format
nice work by the way....love your 'by the water' series....there's an ethereal tranquility, serenity in the shots....

I get it about using 1 litre of developer at a time but what about using the developer in 500ml doses to develop 1 roll of 120 film at a time????????
No problem. Use whatever amount of your "working solution" you need; after all, you are pouring it back in the bottle for reuse. It is not wasted. Tom's procedure is "by the book" replenishment. Once you begin using and saving and replenishing your "working solution" don't try to dilute and use as a one shot. But who woule want to? Many lab rats will tell you your negs get even better looking once your working solution has been replenished a few times. Your one liter of working solution (Tom says label Xtol Dev) is like the Duracell (or is it Everready?) rabbit--it goes on, and on, and on (as long as you do not contaminate it.) To be on the safe side, pitch it when all your Xtol Repl bottles are empty.

Shooter
Multi Format
I don't know whether 500ml or 1,000ml working solution will work well or not. I have tried keeping a 1,000ml working solution of replenished Xtol, and it works very well. I haven't tried 500ml so I can't advice on it.

I'm about ready to mix up my fourth 5L batch of Xtol to replenish the same batch I started almost a year ago... It's amazing stuff.

Just try it. It's very economical, and a great way to process film.

- Thomas

el wacho

Shooter
Medium Format
..another approach was Barry Thornton's idea of using xtol as an A bath for 4 minutes without agitation, return it back to it's storage bottle, pour in bath B ( 6-12g of borax per one litre of water ) and finish development for about 4 minutes. you can reuse the B bath for a little while. read this article for a more detailed explanation. i've never tried this with xtol so i can't vouch for it but it's great with FX4 ( sans the borax in bath A ). if yo could get some metol, sodium sulfite and borax ( or sodium metaborate, sodium carbonate ) you'd be when on your way to having a developer that lasts at least six months ( as i experienced ) - they are arguably unrivaled for economy.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
sperera

sperera

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
No problem. Use whatever amount of your "working solution" you need; after all, you are pouring it back in the bottle for reuse. It is not wasted. Tom's procedure is "by the book" replenishment. Once you begin using and saving and replenishing your "working solution" don't try to dilute and use as a one shot. But who woule want to? Many lab rats will tell you your negs get even better looking once your working solution has been replenished a few times. Your one liter of working solution (Tom says label Xtol Dev) is like the Duracell (or is it Everready?) rabbit--it goes on, and on, and on (as long as you do not contaminate it.) To be on the safe side, pitch it when all your Xtol Repl bottles are empty.

good advice as ever from the guru himself....heh heh heh....that profile pic, the Rollei over the eye, is that a Johnny Depp one-eyed pirate vibe you were going for???

OP
OP
sperera

sperera

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
oh, one thing, keep the times the developing times the same until i run out of the replenishing bottles??????
DOH its 8 mins at 20 degrees isnt it.....Ive worked out about 7 mins 20 secs for 21 degrees the its 6 mins 45 at 22 degrees and 6 mins 5 secs for 23 degrees and 5 mins 30 secs at 24 degrees....FEEL FREE TO PUT ME IN MY PLACE WITH THESE TIMES....

Last edited by a moderator:

MattKing

Shooter
Multi Format
oh, one thing, keep the times the developing times the same until i run out of the replenishing bottles??????
DOH its 8 mins at 20 degrees isnt it.....Ive worked out about 7 mins 20 secs for 21 degrees the its 6 mins 45 at 22 degrees and 6 mins 5 secs for 23 degrees and 5 mins 30 secs at 24 degrees....FEEL FREE TO PUT ME IN MY PLACE WITH THESE TIMES....

This link should take you to Kodak's J109 web document, which tells all about X-Tol, including time and temperature recommendations:

http://wwwcaen.kodak.com/global/en/professional/support/techPubs/j109/j109.pdf

You should be sure to note the differences between the times for one-shot use and replenished use. Also note the differences between the suggestions for small tanks, and for rotary processing.

Matt

Shooter
Multi Format
When you first start your batch with fresh Xtol developer, your development times will be slightly shorter compared to after the batch is seasoned.
Most films are about 8 minutes for me if shot at box speed. Today I processed four rolls of film that were shot in very even lighting, so I needed to process longer to expand the highlights a little bit. So I added one minute to make 9 minutes. I could have processed longer, but the negs are fine.
You will want to use Kodak's times as starting times, and then you adjust to suit your own needs and circumstance. Remember that your way of metering, the meter accuracy, the shutter and aperture accuracy and tolerances, even the quality of your water and your agitation technique will make a difference. So you will do yourself a favor by keeping with one film until you know how to compensate for different lighting scenarios with altered agitation intervals and development times. You learn all of that faster by using one single emulsion.

Hope that helps.

- Thomas

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford ADOX Freestyle Photographic Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab
Top Bottom