Members
Latest member
Sh8n8h8n
Recent bookmarks

waynecrider

Subscriber
Shooter
35mm
Is Unique about the best option for color paper developing supplies on the U.S. east coast? B&H doesn't ship them and Freestyle is higher priced with increased shipping costs.

Secondly, is there a good book on color printing I could read before I launch into this?

Wayne

Shooter
Large Format
Is Freestyle's Arista line more expensive than others? I haven't compared but I assumed they would be lower than most, except maybe B&H. I got a very reasonable quote from Freestyle on shipping Arista C41/RA4 kits and a box of paper to the midwest for only $15.

DREW WILEY

Shooter
8x10 Format
Kodak's RA/RT chem and Arista appear to be functionally identical except for the packaging itself. But don't confuse this with the Arista room
temp stuff. I'm not aware of any books that are anywhere near up to date, but the older Kodak color printing manuals are still perfectly good with respect to general theory. With patience, you can find the mixing instructions and one-shot small volume drum specifications, with time/temp options, on Kodak's data base. But you probably won't be able to navigate their current website to find it. Some of these substitute chem companies might include it in their packaging too. I thinks drums are the easiest way to go if you want your life uncomplicated. Have good ventilation, regardless. If you have a decent colorhead, color neg printing is relatively easy and affordable to learn. There are no longer any simple analog ways to print chromes (slides), however.

frotog

Shooter
Large Format
Is Unique about the best option for color paper developing supplies on the U.S. east coast? B&H doesn't ship them and Freestyle is higher priced with increased shipping costs.

Secondly, is there a good book on color printing I could read before I launch into this?

Yes, Unique is the best option and they don't mark up their ups shipping costs. Freestyle is inordinately overpriced and geared towards the hobbyist who doesn't know that they can get the same stuff from minilab supply houses for 30% less. The latest versions of the Russell chem and cpac chems that Unique carries will ship without hazmat fees.

Best book for beginning color printing is the Henry Horenstein book.

OP
OP

waynecrider

Subscriber
Shooter
35mm
Is there a Calumet in your area?

Yep but they don't carry any real analog stuff except used items. I'd have to order out of Chicago.

I'll have to look around for some tube/roller base stuff before I order.

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford ADOX Freestyle Photographic Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab Blue Moon Camera & Machine
Top Bottom