Threads
Members
Latest member
jgreen
Recent bookmarks

Jeremy

Shooter
Multi Format
I'm just curious, is there any reason not to use a number of different clips to separate 4x5 negs in a unicolor tube? I'm about to test about using both wooden clothes pins and the blackplastic/metal spring paperclips.

OP
OP
Jeremy

Jeremy

Shooter
Multi Format
The black spring clips won't lock all the way down the "V" and the wooden pins aren't sturdy enough to withstand the liquid sloshing around without popping off. I guess I may just have to try and find the clothespins from largeformatphotography.info

bmac

Shooter
Multi Format
Are you sure they are popping off? I have used wooden ones in the past (the spring loaded ones) and now use plastic cloths pins. They have never fallen off(knock wood)

OP
OP
Jeremy

Jeremy

Shooter
Multi Format
They are very cheapy wooden clothespins and the spring actually twisted slightly and they popped off. I think this is due to their swelling from the water. (I ran it 10 minutes with 500mL of water).

JHannon

Shooter
Multi Format
Did the original spacers work properly? I found a photo of an original Unicolor spacer next to a ruler so a copy could be made. Looks like an easy thing to do with some heavy plastic. If anyone is interested.

I can post the photo in the gallery, but it is not my file and I can't remember where I downloaded it if it matters.

Regards,
John

BobF

I think that photo of the original was something from tim atherton on photo.net. I have tried to make those and the problem is always finding a suitable plastic or rubber material. Every one I tried either didn't flex enough or flexed too much or crumbled apart. My best solution has been to make rings by cutting 1/4" sections from thin plastic pipe. Then split the plastic ring and you have a clip that works well and is cheap to replace.

RobR

Rings made from plastic pipe sound like a good idea!

I was thinking about putting drops of super-glue in the crease between the guides and the wall so that the film won't slide around. I wouldn't be able to slide the film in against the wall of the drum, but I don't do that anyway, since I was getting badly scratched negatives. Instead, I bend the film away from the wall, move it into place, and then push on the center of the sheet until it snaps into place.

RobR

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford ADOX Freestyle Photographic Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab
Top Bottom