Threads
Members
Latest member
odeo606
Recent bookmarks

Canon AV-1

Shooter
35mm
Hi, I'm a 16 year old film photographer. I've grown to be sick of paying a lab to develop my film. I just purchased a Paterson system 4 tank and all the jugs, etc. The guy who sold me the equipment had some old chems he gave me. I have Rodinal developer (the original from Agfa) that was opened in January, 2005. I also have some Ilford Rapid Fixer that was opened in 2006 and some Ilford stop bath that has never been opened but was most likely purchased around the same time. My question is will any of these un diluted chemicals still work enough for me to practice with my first roll of b/w film? Also I'm in Victoria, Australia, how do i dispose of exhausted chemicals? Cheers, I look forward to using this forum as my passion for film increases.

wildbill

Shooter
Multi Format
rodinal should be fine, it lasts many years
stop bath isn't absolutely necessary (I don't use it at all) but should be fine
test the fixer on a scrap of film (search how to do that here)

Photo Engineer

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
If the fixer is not cloudy, or if it does not smell like rotten eggs when you mix it, it is probably good. A clip test with a scrap of film will help.

PE

Tom1956

Shooter
Large Format
Even if it smell like rotten eggs, I put a little sulfite in some rapid-fix concentrate I had, and it worked a miracle. But generally he's right. Acetic acid never goes bad, at least it hasn't for me in 40 years. And Rodinal is a very grainy developer, so beware.

MattKing

Shooter
Multi Format
First - welcome to APUG.

Much of the advice above is excellent.

With respect to disposal - the rules depend on where you are. There are a fair number of Australians here on APUG who could probably help. I'd suggest starting a thread in the "Introduction" thread identifying where you are from. You can ask for advice on disposal there as well.

PeterB

Shooter
Medium Format
Also I'm in Victoria, Australia, how do i dispose of exhausted chemicals?

If you are non commercial/not for profit and don't use large amounts of chemicals then you should contact your wastewater body and ask them what is acceptable to discharge into the sewer. Have a read of the PURE publications below, but be aware most of it applies to commercial situations:

http://www.pmaaustralia.com.au/a/79.html

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford Photo ADOX Freestyle Photographic Photo Warehouse Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab
Top Bottom