Members
Latest member
backseatpilot
Recent bookmarks

Raffay

Shooter
4x5 Format
Hello,

Today I got my kodak D76 developer and fixer from Canada. We don't get anything here so I want to prepare them very carefully. Instructions are pretty clear on the packets. It says to make 3.8 litres but that will consume the whole packet and then it's difficult to find 3.8 litre bottles that too air tight, and if not the stock will only last for two months. I want to know if there is a way to use less powder and make less stock so that it could last a longer time.

Cheers

Raffay

markbarendt

Shooter
Multi Format
You should use the whole package.

You can use 4 smaller bottles and top the partially empty bottle with marbles.

Shooter
4x5 Format
You should use the whole package.

You can use 4 smaller bottles and top the partially empty bottle with marbles.

+1

If you find you consistently end up not using all your developer stock before it goes bad, you can switch to a liquid concentrate developer like HC-110 (similar results to D-76), Rodinol, PMK, Pyrocat, etc., all of which have longer shelf lives than mixed D-76.

Best,

Doremus

BMbikerider

Shooter
35mm
You could use empty wine bottles which have screw caps. use the contents before and enjoy then wash the bottle out and use again Cheap and simple

markbarendt

Shooter
Multi Format
You could use empty wine bottles which have screw caps. use the contents before and enjoy then wash the bottle out and use again Cheap and simple

While true that may not be PC in the OP's area.

Wayne

Shooter
Large Format
Replace wine bottle with plastic soda bottle then.

OP
OP

Raffay

Shooter
4x5 Format
Replace wine bottle with plastic soda bottle then.

By plastic soda bottles you mean normal coke/Pepsi litre or 1.5 litre bottles, right? If yes, the these bottles are made of clear plastic and are not brown, wouldn't that affect, also I have experienced that even coke half used does not maintain the fizz it goes flat. Any thoughts?

Cheers

Raffay

Gerald C Koch

Shooter
Multi Format
You can use clear white bottles if you keep the solutions out of direct sunlight.

PeterB

Shooter
Medium Format
By plastic soda bottles you mean normal coke/Pepsi litre or 1.5 litre bottles, right? If yes, the these bottles are made of clear plastic and are not brown, wouldn't that affect, also I have experienced that even coke half used does not maintain the fizz it goes flat. Any thoughts?

Cheers

Raffay

Check out this recent thread which will answer your question.
(there was a url link here which no longer exists)

In summary the top three storage methods in decreasing order of effectiveness (i.e. minimum gas exchange and/or low light) are
1. Brown glass bottles
2. Metallized Mylar water or wine bladders
3. PET soft drink bottles (dark if possible) as they have caps with good seals

Xmas

Shooter
35mm RF
buy mini scales and raw chemicals and mix up using Kodak or Ilford formula e. g.

ID 68 is much less likely to injure you similar grain 1/3 stop ISO increase

StoneNYC

Shooter
8x10 Format

Cheers

Raffay

Light will not affect the developer, so "brown" / Amber bottles are not necessary. But using porous plastic bottles may introduce oxygen through the plastic, but I don't know what kind of plastic they use in soda bottles so I couldn't be sure. I don't know why screw cap wine bottles isn't "PC" so I'm not sure what the other poster means, but it sounds like a fine plan to me.

Personally I agree, if you're worried about shelf life, get some HC-110 which has a similar look to the film as D-76, or Rodinal also has an incredibly long shelf life, but with a different ("grainer") look than HC-110. However, all 3 of those are super cheap, at $6-$13 per package, none are worth fretting about TOO much, even for us paupers :smile:

Nuff

Shooter
Multi Format
It's not PC, because he's from Pakistan and alcohol might be hard to come by.

My suggestion is to mix the whole solution and pour it into lots of small bottles. Let's say 0.5 litre. Can you obtain juice bottles or some other type of small glass bottles with screw caps?

I'm not sure if on Pakistan the situation is the same as Nepal, but when I travelled there glass bottles were more popular than plastic, since they could be reused.

Light will not affect the developer, so "brown" / Amber bottles are not necessary. But using porous plastic bottles may introduce oxygen through the plastic, but I don't know what kind of plastic they use in soda bottles so I couldn't be sure. I don't know why screw cap wine bottles isn't "PC" so I'm not sure what the other poster means, but it sounds like a fine plan to me.

Personally I agree, if you're worried about shelf life, get some HC-110 which has a similar look to the film as D-76, or Rodinal also has an incredibly long shelf life, but with a different ("grainer") look than HC-110. However, all 3 of those are super cheap, at $6-$13 per package, none are worth fretting about TOO much, even for us paupers :smile:

StoneNYC

Shooter
8x10 Format

My suggestion is to mix the whole solution and pour it into lots of small bottles. Let's say 0.5 litre. Can you obtain juice bottles or some other type of small glass bottles with screw caps?

I'm not sure if on Pakistan the situation is the same as Nepal, but when I travelled there glass bottles were more popular than plastic, since they could be reused.

My mistake, why did I think he was in Canada? Lol

Ok so other chemistry might be harder to attain, my apologies for my mistake.

OP
OP

Raffay

Shooter
4x5 Format

Thank you for the suggestion, will look around and will post pictures of a few options.

Cheers

Raffay

MattKing

Shooter
Multi Format

Some developers are affected by prolonged exposure to light, but if you have a box or cupboard or bag you can put the bottle in, it should be fine.

StoneNYC

Shooter
8x10 Format
Some developers are affected by prolonged exposure to light, but if you have a box or cupboard or bag you can put the bottle in, it should be fine.

I think I guess everything couldn't be affected by like, however from what PE has said, and he would know, brown bottles are not necessary in keeping developer safe and that light doesn't affect the developer. But maybe that's only Kodak developers :wink:

Either way I don't think anyone would leave their developing bottles outside in direct sunlight on the porch for days and days :wink:

Nuff

Shooter
Multi Format
Thank you for the suggestion, will look around and will post pictures of a few options.

Cheers

Raffay

You are welcome. Like others mentioned, glass is the best, since it doesn't let oxygen in, as long as you have good cap/seal.
Also with smaller bottles, if they are filled right to the top, there should be minimum amount of oxygen, extending their life as you don't have to open and close them until they you need to use them.
Otherwise a long life one shot developer like Rodinal or HC110 would be your best options.

OP
OP

Raffay

Shooter
4x5 Format
Some bottles:
apa3a3az.jpg

From left to right:

150ml, 350ml, 260ml, 500ml, 14.3oz, I litre

What would be your recommendation.

Cheers

Raffay

MattKing

Shooter
Multi Format
I wouldn't re-use a vinegar bottle for developer.

And I would be concerned about re-using a vinegar bottle for fixer.

Nuff

Shooter
Multi Format
All look good, make sure you clean them very very well.

I would use 2 x 1 litre bottles and the rest in 500ml bottles.
Once you use the 500ml bottles first, split the 1l between the 500ml bottles again.

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford Photo ADOX Freestyle Photographic Photo Warehouse Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab
Top Bottom