Members
Latest member
odeo606
Recent bookmarks

Raffay

Shooter
4x5 Format
Hello All,

I am planing to mix D76 for the first time, the packet says mix in 3.8 litres of water. I want to know if after heating the water can I put it in an open bucket and then pour the powder and mix, or am I supposed to mix it in a container with a closed lid. As finding a container with a cap that can hold 3.8 L is going to be very difficult.

Cheers

Raffay

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BradS

Shooter
35mm
Yes, you mix it in a big bowl or bucket...but start with only half of the water and add the power, stir until dissolved then add water to make one gallon total.

Gerald C Koch

Shooter
Multi Format
A few minutes exposure to the air will not really cause any problems. When everything is dissolved then transfer to a sealable container(s).

jp498

Shooter
Multi Format
I use a 2-5 gallon bucket. Fill it with 1Gal/3.8L of water first and mark the waterline with something permanent. Then drain it and mix your chems+water.

hadeer

Shooter
Medium Format
I mix just 500 ml working solution on a regular basis, as I prefer to use fresh one shot developing for a single 120 roll. It gives me consistent results.

Bill Harrison

Subscriber
Shooter
35mm
mixing D-76

Stirred not shaken… no joke. If you shake, it will add O2 to the developer and shorten its life. Store full strength in full brown bottles out of the light. If you dilute, do so right before use...

cliveh

Subscriber
Shooter
35mm RF

MattKing

Shooter
Multi Format
I mix just 500 ml working solution on a regular basis, as I prefer to use fresh one shot developing for a single 120 roll. It gives me consistent results.

From powder?

MattKing

Shooter
Multi Format
Does light deteriorate the chemical? I can't remember reading this anywhere, but I wouldn't be surprised if it were so. :confused:

For some chemistry it does - best to keep it out of strong light except for short periods.

But a drawer or a cupboard door work as well as a brown bottle.

MattKing

Shooter
Multi Format
That is correct. The quantities are small (some are less than 2 grams) if you mix for one film, but I never had problems.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Most recommend against this, because powdered chemistry is rarely homogeneous in the packages.

hadeer

Shooter
Medium Format
That is true for mixed dry stuff, but bulk single components are homogenous. .

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

pdeeh

Shooter
Multi Format
So you are mixing D76 one-shot from separate components?
If mixing from commercial D76 (or other mixed component powder), MattKing's strictures still apply.

hadeer

Shooter
Medium Format
Yes, I am mixing from separate components (D-76H, Grant-Haist formula). As said, this gives me consistent results.

MattKing

Shooter
Multi Format
Yes, I am mixing from separate components (D-76H, Grant-Haist formula). As said, this gives me consistent results.

Ah - makes sense now!

D-76 from "scratch" rather than from a commercial package.

OP
OP

Raffay

Shooter
4x5 Format
I have finally mixed it, the D76 came out fine. But the fixer first had a green foam on the top then after mixing I saw there was a white layer at the bottom now I am stirring after every 5 minutes hope it dissolves tonight.

Cheers

Raffay

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
OP

Raffay

Shooter
4x5 Format
The fixer is still not completely dissolved, a white thin layer of powder keeps settling at the bottom. Will it ever dissolve now since the water is not hot as well.

GarageBoy

Shooter
35mm
I still need to mix my first batch, but I heard it'll dissolve in overnight if you leave it

I do have a question, you're supposed to add water to the 1L mark INCLUDING the chemical volume, right?
NOT, add 1L to the packet

Thanks

photo buddy

Shooter
Large Format
you can mix it in a open bucket water tem should be 100 F amount of water should be 3 quarts it will dissolve pretty quickly, if some crystals do not dissolve it is ok when you are finished mixing transfer the hot dev to a gallon container seal it and let it cool, it should take 2-3 hours,

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford Photo ADOX Freestyle Photographic Photo Warehouse Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab
Top Bottom