Members
Latest member
ocieb
Recent bookmarks

faberryman

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
Based on CatLABS "marketing" in this thread, I have no interest in the new film.

Last edited:

haliderollei

Shooter
Medium Format
Let's see, no data-sheet, Catlabs dodging questions about technical details, example photo's that look (to me) really bad, I'll skip this one.

Really not liking these new trends lately of companies getting "new film" contract coated, dodging all questions related to technical matters of their film all just to make a quick buck to then probably cease to exist within a year or two.

Want commitment? Show us commitment, don't hide.

Last edited:

cramej

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
Wow - new film, not rebranded, not distributed yet, no one has used it yet, gets pooh-poohed. Have some patience!

Good thing Catlabs didn't build their own coating machine.....they'd never sell film at $75/roll. Small companies can't afford the huge $$$$$$$$ to coat their own. How many millions of rolls would it take to recoup the costs?

Shooter
Multi Format
Catlabs: I would suggest to be more serious on your responses. It seems to me that your responses are creating more hatred and mistrust that doing any good. If you can't discuss technical issues, film manufacturer or distribuitors, just say so and don't play dumb. Will all due respect your responses seems kinda childish. You are supposed to be running a busines so be business like.

Based on the previous film (Catlabs 80) I tempted to believe that this film is one batch long (meaning that when the batch is gone is gone for good). Similar to films from Ultrafine.

Personally, I will order 10 rolls (120) and use them. If I like them, probably order some more to store and be done.

To the rest, lets be patient and civic. If you want/can afford to test, lets do so. Otherwise, go on to the next thread.

Marcelo.

Nitroplait

Shooter
Multi Format
Ahhh.
Come on!! Please!!
Read the context and buy if you are curious- or don’t if you at not.
Harman and Kodak is there if that’s what you need.
It’s not as if they over-charge with a measly $6,99 per roll.

aparat

Shooter
35mm
I am slowly trying to return to photography after a long hiatus due to a long-term illness/disability. It turns out I missed out on a lot of new products over the past three-four years. I was intrigued by the Catlabs Pro 320 announcement. I bought a roll of 35mm and 120. The film arrived very quickly directly from Catlabs.

The film makes a great first impression. It's packaged very nicely, and I really like the artwork. Both 35mm and 120 are very easy to work with. The base is very clear, with B+F of only around 0.08. The film does not curl very much at all and dries very, very flat. I have not noticed any emulsion imperfections. The edge markings show the Catlabs branding. Clearly, a film made specifically for them.

Following the manufacturer's recommendation, I exposed the film at EI200. I ran a typical film test, using a recently calibrated and certified sensitometer, giving the 35mm variant an exposure of 3.68 Millilux Seconds, which is appropriate for ISO 200 film in my particular device. For example, Ilford HP5+ exposed at 3.38 gets essentially very close to box speed processed in D76, as does 400TX. Expired Neopan 400 gets about a 1/2 stop less speed.

Disclaimer first. I do not claim that my results are representative of the film's performance. It's possible that I made mistakes and/or that I got a bad batch of the emulsion. Please, keep that in mind.

In my test, the film ended up being severely underexposed. I processed four strips for 4, 5:40, 8, and 12 minutes in D76 1+1 at 20C, using a rotary processor with constant agitation. The resulting curves show a very long toe and rather steep G and CI values For example, flare-corrected CI ranges from 0.6 to 0.9. According to my calculations, effective film speed is around ISO 25.

Because my results are somewhat unexpected, I am hesitant to share a more detailed analysis. I should have bought more than one roll of 35mm and re-run the test. I have taken some pictures with my medium format camera and got decently exposed frames, mostly showing similar characteristics as the 35mm variant, namely, underexposed and overdeveloped. Unfortunately, I am still unable to make prints, so I cannot really tell much beyond basic exposure and a rough idea of tonality.

cramej

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
I ordered 5 rolls of each to try out. Sounds interesting so we shall see how it does!

Agulliver

Shooter
Multi Format
"we want new film! And cheap"

...small company tries to launch new, relatively cheap film...

"BUT NOT LIKE THAT!"

OK. I get that it would be nice to have a full data sheet. But honestly, folks, Catlabs have stated it's toll coated for them by another company. It's entirely possible that company isn't able to give Catlabs the full data sheet, curves and so on...especially if it's Shanghai, as we know they have some sort of existing relationship.

What we do know from the sample images is that this isn't another repackaging of Fomapan or Kentmere. It is something different. The price, at least in the USA, is attractive. If you're interested, try it. If you're not....don't bleat about the fact that it's not 99c sheet film in some obscure size. If you're unsure because there's no data sheet....wait and see what others achieve with the film.

I'm probably not going to push the button just yet. Though considering it as I'll be in the USA next month so could possibly take advantage.

Agulliver

Shooter
Multi Format
It befuddles me to think that some folks expect a company to divulge the manufacturing details of their proprietary product. It never hurts to ask but when information is not forthcoming then it’s a reasonable response. A data sheet is a reasonable expectation, and if not provided then a decision can be made to not use the product. Let’s face it… even the “Kodak/Fuji experts” here, more than not, are guessing about these company’s inner workings and thought processes.

It's called entitlement.

And right now this community contains a HELL of a lot of people displaying a hell of a lot of entitlement.

When the film supply dries up because every small company that tried to keep it going was inundated with demands for products they couldn't make and info they're not permitted to supply....go pat yourselves on the back.

AgX

Shooter
Multi Format
I bought a roll of 35mm and 120. ... The base is very clear, with B+F of only around 0.08. The film does not curl very much at all and dries very, very flat.

Is the base of TAC ot PET?

• CatLABS
  • Deleted
  • Reason: spelling

pentaxuser

Subscriber
Shooter
35mm
It's called entitlement.

And right now this community contains a HELL of a lot of people displaying a hell of a lot of entitlement.

On the other hand maybe some in this community are used to the likes of Ilford giving what it assumes is the kind of normal film information that they are used to and it finds that lack of answers to what it regards as normal questions makes it "uneasy" about buying

pentaxuser

aparat

Shooter
35mm
I digitized one abstract frame with my phone camera just to give a rough sense of tonality.

2022-09-28-0003P2.jpg

Shooter
Multi Format
Thanks for the image aparat. Good to see someone actually stopped complaining and started using it. Ordering some on 120. Interested on seeing how well it pushes.

Marcelo

aparat

Shooter
35mm
Thanks for the image aparat. Good to see someone actually stopped complaining and started using it. Ordering some on 120. Interested on seeing how well it pushes.

Marcelo

Thanks! Yeah, I wish I bought more. I still might. Despite the low speed, I feel this film has a lot of potential.

Agulliver

Shooter
Multi Format
Yes I would if you like the look of the stuff. Have you seen the GBP to USD in the last few days 😟 😟

pentaxuser

Yeah....and it's not likely to get much better in the next three and a half weeks. Ho hum. Still might pick up some Fuji Superia from Wal-Mart and maybe a roll of Catlabs 320
On the other hand maybe some in this community are used to the likes of Ilford giving what it assumes is the kind of normal film information that they are used to and it finds that lack of answers to what it regards as normal questions makes it "uneasy" about buying

pentaxuser

Catlabs aren't Ilford or Kodak. They've said that.

pentaxuser

Subscriber
Shooter
35mm
Yeah....and it's not likely to get much better in the next three and a half weeks. Ho hum. Still might pick up some Fuji Superia from Wal-Mart and maybe a roll of Catlabs 320

Catlabs aren't Ilford or Kodak. They've said that.

In your first point it will depend to some extent on the rate of exchange which has also plummeted but may stabilise at the lower level. Hopefully you had already exchanged GBPs for what USDs you need.

Yes I understand your second point that Catlabs are not Ilford or Kodak but if things like spectral sensitivity charts cannot be given nor who has employed the team of photo-engineers for the last few years and bore the cost to devise this new film then why not say so and give the reasons why?

If Catlabs had said we approached a film-making company to make a film for us that will be unique to us, not sold elsewhere under another name and we suggested the kind of film we can think we can sell and it, the film maker, agreed that this seemed worth doing then, assuming this to be the actual case, I see no reason why telling us this is in any way detrimental to Catlabs or the film maker even if the film company has to remain a commercial secret

From the start we had to seek out the kind of useful information that we as photographers need instead of it being freely given

The problem I feel is that we represent a small minority of the "new" film market so we get a marketing description which the rest of the film using world appears to accept on the basis that any new film needs to be bought with the kind of reception that our kids have in respect of the wonder of opening presents from Santa. So in that sense even if we are not those kids we don't matter in the large scheme of sales

pentaxuser

OP
OP

CatLABS

Shooter
Large Format
From the start we had to seek out the kind of useful information that we as photographers need instead of it being freely given
If you want to take pictures, the following info is not useful to anyone as a photographer:

Yes I understand your second point that Catlabs are not Ilford or Kodak but if things like spectral sensitivity charts cannot be given nor who has employed the team of photo-engineers for the last few years and bore the cost to devise this new film then why not say so and give the reasons why?

If Catlabs had said we approached a film-making company to make a film for us that will be unique to us, not sold elsewhere under another name and we suggested the kind of film we can think we can sell and it, the film maker, agreed that this seemed worth doing then, assuming this to be the actual case, I see no reason why telling us this is in any way detrimental to Catlabs or the film maker even if the film company has to remain a commercial secret

Do people who are using Tmax 100 for the first time start with the absolute critical information that Kodak publishes on their data sheets, or do they simply stick a roll of film in the camera and examine the results? If the former, i guess we as a company are not aiming at that market segment but rather at the latter. The latter being people who take pictures more and pre calculate the potential expected results before investing $6.99 by analyzing a stand alone graph curve of arbitrary data, never.

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford ADOX Freestyle Photographic Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab
Top Bottom