Threads
Members
Latest member
adam m
Recent bookmarks

Skeeterfx20

Shooter
Multi Format
I have a Yashica A. I finished some old 120 film stock and bought some new Kodak Portra 160. However I can not see any markings on the backing paper through the center red window. Did they change something? How do I go about winding the film to the correct frame number?

I will note the older film I had worked just fine.

OP
OP

Skeeterfx20

Shooter
Multi Format
Ok I feel a little silly right now. When I took my last roll out I noticed it was missing the paper tape used to seal an exposed roll. I didn't give it much thought and just taped that roll.

Today I loaded my new film and could not see the numbers. I rolled it the whole way through and never saw a marking. I was able to reverse the wind by changing the spools then I just put the film away.

After I posted my question I just had to try it again. I thought maybe the markings were just lighter and I missed them. As I was loading the film again I notice the paper seal tape caught on the pressure plate covering the window. At first I just thought it came off the roll when I reverse the spools to rewind the film.

So when I tried the film again I went slow and moved to an area with more light. Well what can I say the numbers are there. The window was in fact covered by that tape from the prior roll. I guess there is a first time for everything.

BrianShaw

Shooter
Multi Format
That’s the first time I ever heard such a situation. Congratulations on figuring it out!

thuggins

Shooter
Multi Format
Depending on the film and the camera, this can be a real problem. A red LED flashlight solves it nicely in any case.

MattKing

Shooter
Multi Format
I can't really see any reason that the flashlight need be red - unless your film isn't sensitive to red.

thuggins

Shooter
Multi Format
I can't really see any reason that the flashlight need be red - unless your film isn't sensitive to red.

Because the window is red. White light will reflect every color except red and cause a glare on the window. Red light passes directly thru the window, where it reflects off the backing paper and back thru the window with no glare and no interference from other wavelengths.

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford ADOX Freestyle Photographic Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab
Top Bottom