c41 marks

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by EcZc, Jun 8, 2011.

1. EcZc

EcZc Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Hi

Could anyone tell me what they think is the most likely cause of the marks in the sky on the attached negative? The negatives were developed with a Jobo, fresh chemicals, pre-wash, washes between bleach/fix and fix/stabalizer, correct temperature and great care not to cross contaminate chemicals. Could it be anything to do with having more than one film on a reel at a time? It only seems to affect 120 and 5x4 - 35mm come out great.

Thoughts appreciated!

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 8, 2011
  2. epatsellis

epatsellis Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    While I realize that many advocate a prewash and rinse, I have followed the Z131 reccomendations for rotary processing and get nothing but perfect negatives every time.

3. timparkin

timparkin Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    How long pre-wash are you doing? I've had this happen a lot until I started doing a two minute pre-wash (I actually do longer than this out of paranoia) ..

Could be the warm up too - 35mm probably warms up very quickly.. Just a thought... (I think not but worth mentioning)

4. I used a five minute prewash per the Jobo and Unicolor kit.

Steve

5. OP
    OP
    EcZc

EcZc Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Good point on pre-wash length / film size. I'm using a pre-wash of 3 to 5 mins. I'm not checking the exact temp of the pre-wash water though, I just mixing it reasonably warm - not hot.

I always rinse reels under clean water, I read recently they should be scrubbed to get rid of stabalizer. Any chance this could be the cause?

6. Part of the reason to prewash is to get the film to the proper temperature.

7. OP
    OP
    EcZc

EcZc Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    So what temperature should the pre-wash water be? I had consistent good results for over a year and never checked pre-wash temperature, just gave it 3 mins with 8x10, 5x4 and 120. I thought pre-wash got to roughly correct temp but more importantly allowed even absorbsion of the dev.

8. timparkin

timparkin Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Should be the same temp as the processing...

9. OP
    OP
    EcZc

EcZc Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Well yes, obviously I guess, but it still doesnt add up for me as it has never caused issues before.

10. Large differences in temperature can cause reticulation. You may have been lucky.

11. OP
    OP
    EcZc

EcZc Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    But lucky in over 250 sheets of 5x4 and 100 rolls of 120?