Bulk loading question

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by randyr5, Feb 13, 2009.

1. randyr5

randyr5 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hi, I just joined APUG a couple of days ago. After shooting digital for the last few years, I yearned for my days of shooting and developing black and white film. I haven't processed a roll myself in probably 25 years.

I want to try bulk loading some rolls. Just got an Alden 74 loader for cheap on ebay. What is the best/most secure way to attach the film to the spool when bulk loading? Any other tips/suggestions would be most welcome. Thanks, Randy

2. Monophoto

Monophoto Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I usually use ordinary masking tape - the white kind, not the blue painter's tape.

I also target 35 exposure rolls - I use PrintFile polyethelene sleaves to store negatives, and they hold seven strips of 5 negatives each.

3. C A Sugg

C A Sugg Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've always used just regular "Scotch" tape. Never had it pull off. You might want to make sure that you cut away from it when loading the tank as I remember it sometimes floating when souped. It could end up blocking the emulsion.

I want to try bulk loading some rolls. Just got an Alden 74 loader for cheap on ebay. What is the best/most secure way to attach the film to the spool when bulk loading? Any other tips/suggestions would be most welcome. Thanks, Randy[/QUOTE]

4. PhotoJim

PhotoJim Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Plain masking tape works for me. You can also apply a small piece to the cartridge to give you a space to identify the film.

5. jim appleyard

jim appleyard Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I use masking tape as well, but there's good masking tape and there's cheap masking tape. Use the good stuff. The cheap stull will not stick nearly as well and cause problems.

The good stuff usually is a brand name (3M was a good one, Norton was too) and you pay more for it. I used some house brand/hardware chain stuff that was awful; it would come unstuck in camera and that would mean the end of shooting with that body for the day.

Lots of other folks have their favorite kinds of tape and taping methods. I'm sure they're all quite goo.

Welcome back to real b/w and APUG!

6. RidingWaves

RidingWaves Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    The very best tape is the plastic tape that the 1hr labs use to attach the film to the 'pull card', its strong, thin, dimentionally stable and chemical proof, so you can leave it on if you need to. You can ask the guys behind the counter sometimes they'll snip off all you need. The tape also works excellent for fastening the film onto the waste cassettes, a bulk loading trick I used for years. Just don't use the obviously abused cassettes.

7. johnnywalker

johnnywalker Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I use regular scotch tape as well and never had a problem.

8. jim appleyard

jim appleyard Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Remember to tape on BOTH sides of the film; a bit of extra precaution.

9. markrewald

markrewald Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I would like to ask a question about how a 100' roll is loaded into the bulk loader. Is it idiot proof? Meaning you can only put the roll in one way? I ask this because I would like to bulk roll color print film for redscale photography. Which means I have to load it backwards and upside down. So I would like to be an idiot and load it wrong. =)

Thanks in advance.

10. IloveTLRs

IloveTLRs Member

Shooter:
    Sub 35mm
    I use black plastic tape I got at a local $1 shop. I've used the same pieces over and over again and never had any problems, even in automatic P&S cameras. It works good outside cameras to prevent light leaks, too.

11. trexx

trexx Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Some more so then others The Bobbinquick loaded is too tight to laod a full roll the wrong way

The Watson 100 loader you could load the roll clock-wise to the anti-clockwise that it is intended. But there would be a good changes of scratching the base side as it rolled against itself.

12. Mike Wilde

Mike Wilde Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I believe the film specific tape that people are mentioning here is called 'blue max' film splicing tape. It does its job very well. I bought a 1" wide roll (a lifetime supply, for me) from a minilab/camera store for $20, and I am happy enough with the performance to not feel that the price was too high. I re-use mine. It does not stock well to too much esle, but it loves to stick to film.

13. markrewald

markrewald Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thanks Trexxx. I guess the either method loading it via the bulk loader or the current method of rolling it back into the film canister may cause scratches. Thanks again!

14. Anscojohn

Anscojohn Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    We used a bulk loader in college without detectable problems. Since then I have not used a loader. I measure out the amount needed, using two push pins along the door jam of my darkroom; attach the film with masking tape; reassenble the cartridge; and roll it back into the cartridge, using one finger to keep the film going straight into the felt light trap. I blow out my cartridges begore use and have not had a detectable scratch or dust problem.

15. ozphoto

ozphoto Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    I use a good masking tape or sello (scotch) tape.
    I usually have enough length to go around the spool so that it tapes both sides; for the exact reason Jim stated.
    When I process, I try to remove the tape prior to development, just in case it comes loose.
    Theoretically you could load "backwards" but on my Watson bulkloader, that would mean the tail exits on the left side and would need to be reversed back to the right to load backwards.

IE: Correctly loaded (Watson bulkloader) , the tail should be exiting on the right, not the left.