Threads
Members
Latest member
Sixbysix
Recent bookmarks

Marvin

Shooter
Multi Format
I am going to start loading 35mm film with my film loader and was just wondering if others are using DX cartridges for bulk loading. I have an F5 and N80 which I can set the ISO but also have an N75 that needs the DX code. Just wonder if the DX code tells the number of exposures because the N75 winds to the end and winds back into the cartridge as you take pictures. I also have older X700 minolta that is no problem. Also wonder if anyone is reusing old cartridges and how you get them apart without damaging them.
Marvin

Shooter
Medium Format
The cheap way to go is to re-use DX cassettes. You can pull the exposed film out of one several ways. The film is cut in the changing bag, leaving an inch or more of film hanging out. In your bulk loader, just tape the new film to the stub. Use tape on both sides to keep things rolling smoothly. The disadvantage is that your film takes a couple of trips through the light trap felts. Eventually, that will wear out or pick up dust.

A quick and dirty tool for retrieving the film leader is a piece of scrap film. Just lick it, insert it into the cassette, and pull. It is not too hard to get the end of the film to come out that way.

I have seen DX reloadable cassettes for sale, but do not remember where.

MattKing

Shooter
Multi Format

Denis R

Shooter
35mm
the truth

just got done shooting 17x with the N75 set on A with exposure comp at -3
the only problem is I thought i had the dx400 but it was not coded plastic
I was hoping for pushing to 3200, but will accept the 800
tomorrow will be the 3200
this was after sunset with delta 400

the camera will default to ISO 100 if no dx
the camera does count the exposures with infrared system and does disregard the dx coding for film length

porters has dx labels and roll-your-own options
on this page

it's best to not use a bulk loader

off I go to roll more...

fschifano

Shooter
Multi Format
I don't see how it's best not to use a bulk loaded unless you consider the inch or two of fogged film at the end of the roll a real hardship. I use all kinds of bulk loaders, Watson, Lloyd's, Alden); and I have never seen one scratch film if it's been kept clean and used correctly.

vedmak

Subscriber
Shooter
Analog
dx code tells film speed, number of exposures, and exposure correction in 1 stop increments. In order to get the entire length of film without fogging the last 2 shots, you need to load cassettes in a darkroom black bag or in a total darkness. You can use non DX coded cartridges, but most cameras will assume it at 100 iso, unless set to something different. If you only have dx coded, just put a piece of masking tape over it, if your iso is different. If your camera allows for exposure correction you can use that to get to the needed ISO, iso 400 is +2, 200 is +1 and so forth.

AgX

Shooter
Multi Format
dx code tells film speed, number of exposures, and exposure correction in 1 stop increments.

It is not an exposure correction but rather a kind of film-latitude indication.

fotch

Shooter
Multi Format
I don't see how it's best not to use a bulk loaded unless you consider the inch or two of fogged film at the end of the roll a real hardship. I use all kinds of bulk loaders, Watson, Lloyd's, Alden); and I have never seen one scratch film if it's been kept clean and used correctly.

In addition to what Frank said, the loaders help keep the dust off the film. Although I never tried it without a loader, one concern would be dust being attracted to the film while measuring out the length in a roll your own without a loader.

Mike Wilde

Shooter
Multi Format
I have in the past found on the web the spec for the code pads for DX film settings.
A few of my 'shelf queens' of my collection do go on the road with me once in a while, and one or two need DX coding on the film casette to do thier thing properly.

I use emery paper to rub the paint off the DX contact area of old film cans that I use to bulk load with. Some are actually old enough they pre date DX coding.

I then draw the pattern for the DX contacts grid on with a sharpie marker and a pair of cardboard cut outs that act as templates.

Nail polish is dabbed onto the islands where you don't want the contacts to make a conection. I have also used litte squares of vinyl electrical tape as insulator, but it can ship in warmer weather.

The other option is to link the contact fingers of the camera with fine wire, tape it in place, with say transparent packing tape, and then use whatever cassette, since the cameras film type is kind of hard coded until you re-purpose the wire connections.

Shooter
Medium Format
I have 3 Alden loaders one of them is loaded with fomapan 200 and creates nasty scratches I think it needs a cleaning or replacing. But you can go to your local film lab, I'm sure they will be happy to give you some used cassettes. Use whatever for the f5 and match up speed and exposure for the n75.

wclark5179

Shooter
35mm RF
Just a thought....

Can you turn off the camera reader of the code?

I have a couple of Contax cameras and I did it with those & set the ISO myself.

I buy my mt cassettes from Freestyle.

Hope this helps you.

Have a wonderful week.

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford ADOX Freestyle Photographic Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab
Top Bottom