Broken film door hook

Discussion in 'Camera Building, Repairs & Modification' started by nusproizvodjac, Feb 19, 2018.

1. nusproizvodjac

nusproizvodjac Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Is there a way to repair a broken film door hook/catch on a Minolta Alpha 7? As far as l know the hook doesn't move, only the part on the body itself slides into position, so maybe some makeshift plastic hook glued into place could do the trick?

2. shutterfinger

shutterfinger Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Camera names in your part of the world are not the same as the ones in my part of the world. If I google it I get A Maximum 7 or Dynax 7.
    I have never found a glue that will hold the broken plastic tabs of battery boor locks on cameras. The repair I suggest is get some Velcro, cut a piece of loop to fit the body, cut a longer piece of hook strip the hook off 1/3 to 1/2 of the strip, epoxy the loop onto the body next to where the door closes, when fully cured epoxy the hook to the door so that the stripped area is on the door to the edge of the door. When fully cured push the door to the closed position then pull the velcro tight and press to hold the door closed.
    The door piece should be long enough to pull the door fully closed and leave a tab to grip for opening.

3. OP
    OP
    nusproizvodjac

nusproizvodjac Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    That's the one l was thinking about, l put Alpha, because sometimes google gives me the 7xi for no reason... :|
    That's too bad, l was actually thinking of making some sort of hook and trying to glue it in place, because the camera was dropped and the only thing that broke was that plastic tab...

4. shutterfinger

shutterfinger Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    If you are asking about the tab at the black arrow then its very doubtful any glue will work as it holds the spring tension of the batteries.
    battery chamber.jpeg
    A small flat head screw 0.6mm to 1mm with a nut might work. The screw head will have to be on the inside of the cover.

5. BAC1967

BAC1967 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Gaffers tape to hold it closed.

6. OP
    OP
    nusproizvodjac

nusproizvodjac Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    @shutterfinger I was thinking of this hook in the pic, at the very edge of the door that holds it shut.

@BAC1967 Not the best solution since the rubber on the door is intact, not sticky or peeling off, and gaffers tape would surely damage it.

Attached Files:

7. shutterfinger

shutterfinger Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    My apologies, I misread. Broken battery doors are common and that's what I went to.
    If you have the piece that broke off try gluing it back on with epoxy. Otherwise look for a parts body to rob the back from.

8. OP
    OP
    nusproizvodjac

nusproizvodjac Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    It's okay, l shouldve posted the pic in the first post. :D
    Unfortunately the piece was lost, otherwise l'd easily be glued on... :/
    These bodies are rare here as it is, this is the first one that l've come across in the last couple of years, the only other option would be, as you said, to order a body from ebay, and at these prices, it's just easier to get a nice one, than a beat up body with worse back than on this camera.

9. bernard_L

bernard_L Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    +1
    Does not work either (how do i know?). Once the velcro has caught loops into mushrooms), it will yield 1 or 2mm. Enough for a light leak in a film door. Ideally need some elastic velcro, but the only sort I found is for medical use and is too elastic (not enough force) for a film door. Which leaves the gaffer tape. Good enough for a non-Laica camera. Disclaimer I am not a leica owner.

10. shutterfinger

shutterfinger Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Use a digital caliper and make some measurements of the latch. Cut some sheet brass or aluminum of the appropriate thickness and pattern to fit the edge of the back and engage the latch then glue the piece to the camera back. Epoxy should work well but some advanced adhesives such as those used in the auto industry might be better.

I've had success with velcro on P&S cameras so it will work if done correctly and like everything else it will wear and require replacing.

11. Arbitrarium

Arbitrarium Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I'd say it's worth trying sticking a new piece on with poly cement for hard plastics. Melts the plastic rather than just filling the gap with glue, so it's as strong as solid plastic. I've glued plastic together with poly cement before, let it dry and then tried to snap it apart again, and had the plastic break rather than the glued part.

12. OP
    OP
    nusproizvodjac

nusproizvodjac Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    l'm gonna think about all the options, as l'm not sure if l'd succeed with repairing it, and l'd hate to have a working body on me that can't be used because of a flimsy piece of plastic... :|

13. Fritzthecat

Fritzthecat Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Duct tape. Lots and lots of duct tape. Enough to go around the entire camera and lens several times. In fact, buy a new roll and use the entire thing. It comes in cool patterns, pick the one you like best, then tell everyone "look, I've reskinned my baby".

14. paul ron

paul ron Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    that part was plastic? how about getting someone to 3d print a part to retrofit? can that part be removed from the door or is it all one piece?

otherwise taping the door shut may be your best option.

i like the velcro idea shutterfinger suggested.

another idea would be make something out of thin brass and screw it in place.

15. Helios 1984

Helios 1984 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I believe that the hook is molded directly into the door, on this model, which would explain why Minolta was charging over 200$ for the repair.

I’m sure there is something to tinker, however, it will require holes and screws.

16. paul ron

paul ron Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    take the back off to make it easier to work on. most cameras just have a hinge pin youcan tap out.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.