Bought a new camera, maybe a Century 10A, this weekend.

Discussion in 'Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by Rlibersky, May 29, 2017.

1. Rlibersky

Rlibersky Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    20170529_104213.jpg

So I bought this camera the other day and have been trying to figure out the maker of the camera. The stand is a semi-centennial and I can find a lot of information about it.

I was told the camera is a Century 10A. After looking at it for awhile I realized it does not have the ability to expand out as long as the pictures I have seen on line. Then I thought maybe a 4A because the base is the same. But none of them, the online pictures, show it with the gearing the way this one is. There is not tag on the front but there are 3 holes, in a circle pattern, where there was one.

So is this the sum of 2 different cameras or were there custom choices for these type of camera? any information woulds be appreciated.

I also need to get a back for it now.

20170529_103202.jpg 20170529_103326.jpg

2. shutterfinger

shutterfinger Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Century cameras will have a name plate that attaches with two screws between the bottom of the front standard and the lower edge of the lens board opening.
    Yours may be an Ansco.
    Do some research at http://piercevaubel.com/cam/catalogs.htm

3. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  4. OP
    OP
    Rlibersky

Rlibersky Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Thanks for both of your links. have not found any Ansco Studio cameras yet, but I will keep looking. It looks like it is a mix between a No 4A and a 10A. But there are no holes indicating that there was a name plate on front other then the ones I pointed out. I have not seen any tags that are round if that is what they are for.

5. OP
    OP
    Rlibersky

Rlibersky Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
  6. OP
    OP
    Rlibersky

Rlibersky Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I have found an old 7 for parts and a new (old stock) bellows for this camera. It should be completed by the end of summer. My question is the brass plating is pretty warn on the pieces I have. If I get it replated, was the finish glossy or flat? Would like to keep it as original as possible. Have not decided if I want to refinish the wood or just clean it up, yet.

7. shutterfinger

shutterfinger Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Please provide a picture of a worn piece.

8. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    Congratulations.

On the average of 4A and 10A would of course be a 7. :wink:

9. OP
    OP
    Rlibersky

Rlibersky Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Finally have taken it apart and cleaned it up. Now I just need to finish sanding and put back together. The brass was really dirty, after cleaning with Brasso it looks brand new. all wood pieces are stamp with the number 98. I assume this is the employee number but only guessing. Does anyone know if this would have been stained originally, this is the No. 7 not the darker No. 7A. What color would it have been stained?

Attached Files:

10. shutterfinger

shutterfinger Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    98 is likely the machining number as parts were fitted prior to being sent to finishing.
    The original finish was likely clear lacquer. The brass was clear lacquered to prevent it from tarnishing.

11. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    i agree with the clear lacquer ..
    beautiful work cleaning this up, randy .. !

12. OP
    OP
    Rlibersky

Rlibersky Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Thanks. Glad I asked about the lacquer. The camera was dirty so it was hard to see original finish. Where the parts came together the wood was clean and with out stain.
    Didnt know if they stained before or after putting it together. know to put it back together. I will post the final image when complete.

13. OP
    OP
    Rlibersky

Rlibersky Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    So I finally got it together. I decided to use a satin lacquer, I don't like the look of glossy. Now I just need to find some nails to put the No. 7 label on the front.

There are a few things I have questions about. I have noticed the pictures of these cameras, on line, that the brass panning screw is one piece where mine is two. Also the focus adjustment rail on mine protrudes out where most I've seen are V shaped. the V shape would make sense from a manufacturing perspective, cheaper and easier to make. Does this give us a clue to the age? The serial number is 66738 or that is what is stamped on the bottom piece of wood.

Attached Files:

14. shutterfinger

shutterfinger Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    The Graflex serial number record I have access to stops at 569xx then starts again at 76xxx with a notation that Professional cameras from 68xxx to 728xx are on another page with no date information. 56xxx is around 1915-1916.
    Being cameras were built on demand 66xxx is likely 1915 to 1920 range.
    Correction:
    Your camera matches a Century Grand listed in this catalog http://piercevaubel.com/cam/catalogs/1908sweetwallachproflp295.htm all rear controls match your camera.
    This catalog http://piercevaubel.com/cam/catalogs/1909ekcproflp737.htm shows the Grand with a knurled focus knob in place of the wooden ball.
    Your camera may well be pre 1910. Century made Circuit cameras and their serial numbers are not in the Graflex number book. Maybe someone with the Century numbers will post.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2018
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.