Threads
Members
Latest member
jrhii
Recent bookmarks

tglmatt

Shooter
Medium Format
Ive been testing out a few pre-ai nikon lenses lately and ive noticed on all of them that there is significant "blooming" or glowing in the brightest highlights. The ones Ive tried are the 35mm 2.8 nikkor S, and the 200mm f/4 Q. Neither had any filters on them and both were somewhat bad, with the 35mm getting somewhat better when stopped down. I was originally planning to buy a few of these lenses, but if this is a normal thing among older nikkors then I think Im going to go for something a bit newer. So to people who have used these types of lenses before, are the ones I found an anomaly due to light haze or something, or is this just something you have to live with on these older lenses?

Sorry i cant provide any test shots, they are all on film and Im waiting on another c41 kit atm. Still, any input would be appreciated :smile:

cooltouch

Shooter
Multi Format
I've run into what I've always referred to as "blooming flare" on some old aftermarket lenses, which typically disappears once the lens is stopped down a stop or two. I have a few pre-AI Nikkors -- none of which match yours -- but I've never noticed this with mine. Neither of your lenses are multi-coated, though (or else they'd have a "C" after the S and Q), so this might be some of the problem.

jim10219

Shooter
4x5 Format
Yeah, I’ve noticed this problem as well. It really only effects the lenses in bright, contrasty scenes when the lens is shot wide open. Filters and hoods don’t help, but stopping down does. The newer ones have better coatings and don’t really suffer from this as much. It’s one reasons I prefer my old manual focus Pentax lenses to my old Nikkors. That SMC coating was ahead of its time.

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford ADOX Freestyle Photographic Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab Blue Moon Camera & Machine
Top Bottom