Best place to buy Hasselblad lenses?

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by jesterthejedi, Mar 11, 2012.

1. jesterthejedi

jesterthejedi Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hey I am new to the world of Hasselblad. I got the standard 503 cx body and 80mm lens from Keh.com, I bought an older Bargain lens and it seems to be okay, so my question is, Beyond just ebay, is there other great places to find decent Hassie lenses for a good value? Ideally I would like to add 2 more lenses and also find a nicer 80mm at reasonable prices.

Thanks,
    Billy

2. Richard S. (rich815)

Richard S. (rich815) Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You already found KEH, that's where I get a lot of my equipment including two Hassy lenses. There's also David Odess, who is a superlative Hassy repair tech. His lenses are not cheap but you are guaranteed a 100% clean, adjusted and perfectly performing lens.

3. Richard S. (rich815)

Richard S. (rich815) Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  4. OP
    OP
    jesterthejedi

jesterthejedi Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thanks I'll check that out. Does anyone else think ebay is way overpriced for lenses?

5. Araakii

Araakii Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    ebay has the best prices hands down. The only issue is that you don't know if there's any issue with the items.

6. OP
    OP
    jesterthejedi

jesterthejedi Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I researched for weeks and still think I got a better buy on Keh, paid 400 for a 80mm T*.

7. Leigh B

Leigh B Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Go with KEH or David Odess. Both highly reputable.

I wouldn't buy a lens on the bay if the only alternative was to go without. I've bought a lot of other stuff there.

I have all the Hasselblad CF lenses from the 40mm FLE through the 350mm (except the 135mm bellows lens), and a 500mm C.
    Most of them came from KEH. None came from the bay.

- Leigh

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2012
  8. Araakii

Araakii Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I haven't bought anything from KEH so I don't know how they rate their gears. What condition did they rate your lens at? $400 for a 80mm CF T* is a good price, but you see it on ebay from time to time as well.

9. aleksmiesak

aleksmiesak Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Also try "for sale" sections on different forums like Hasselblad forums, fredmiranda, and even this one. A lot of times you can get well cared for gear from people like yourself for a very reasonable price.

10. pgomena

pgomena Member

If you buy a used lens, assume that you will want it serviced. Add $200 to the price. If you buy a used lens that has recently been serviced, figure the cost of the service is included in the price. Otherwise, insist on a 30-day optical-mechanical guarantee on the lens so you can test it and find out if it needs to be serviced or repaired. Owning a Hasselblad is more like owning a Porsche than a Chevy. Get used to higher maintenance costs. A "bargain" may be just that.

Peter Gomena

11. Samy's Camera on Fairfax in Los Angeles, if you can go there to see the equipment. Otherwise KEH.

Steve