Best Online Book Printers

Discussion in 'Book, Magazine, Gallery Reviews, Shows & Contests' started by brent8927, Mar 2, 2018.

1. brent8927

brent8927 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I'm looking into making a book of my photographs. For right now it's mostly for personal use--I want something a bit sleeker than the clunky albums I have. It's hard to find albums that will accommodate 4 5x5 prints, and the ones I've used are either study but with flimsy page inserts (it's basically a binder) or the album itself just doesn't seem the greatest quality.

Obviously the photos look great when they're real...

Does anyone have advice on one of those websites that will print a book for you? I'm trying to find one that would be pro quality (ie, close to how my prints look). I've been looking into Blurb, nations photo lab, and mpixpro. Mpixpro looks like it's oriented towards pros--I'm not sure what they charge as they require an account. Nations photo lab seems, to me, to be a bit more oriented to amateurs. Blurb seems to be geared towards more serious enthusiasts and has options for selling your books through Amazon, (which I'm interested in trying to do in the near future).

Obviously I could order books from all three, but I'd like to know if anyone has experience with these, or any other, companies.

For reference, if I'm ordering prints, I used to use photoworks in SF, but switched to Aspen Photo a few months ago. I've been quite happy with their results. Unfortunately they do not make books.

2. TerryMcC

TerryMcC Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I’ve use Momento for a couple, and am using them now on a third album. Interface is intuitive and allows preview PDF for proofreading which I find invaluable. Pricing seems ok but have nothing to compare it against.

Memento, not Momento

Last edited: Mar 2, 2018
  3. fiddle

fiddle Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I used milkbooks.com once, I thought they were good quality, although I have nothing to compare them too..

4. winger

winger Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Regular old mpix does books, too, but I didn't like their presets that much as it was tough to keep the correct aspect ratios for my images. I'd use them again for snapshot-type books (like shots of my son for the grandmothers). I've made two with Blurb and will use them again if I get around to organizing the images I want to use. They have two different levels of software and I used the one aimed more at pros - it has presets, but you can also just start with bare pages and make your own layouts. I rarely crop to "normal" proportions, so making my own layouts is key for me. The books I've gotten from them have looked great. My monitor is semi-calibrated, so I haven't gotten nit-picky to the extreme, but they look good. If you sign up for their mailing list, you'll get offers fairly often. Otherwise the prices are kinda high.

5. Eric Rose

Eric Rose Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I use Blurb.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.