Beseler motor base clearance issue

Discussion in 'Darkroom Equipment' started by wildbill, Feb 1, 2009.

1. wildbill

wildbill Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've got a Beseler 8922 motor base and drums that have been sitting around, unsued for a few months. The issue is that the tabs protruding from the base prevent the drum from contacting the moving wheels. Is there something obvious that I'm overlooking here? Is there an adjustment inside for the wheel height or did this particular example get it's wheels pushed in? I could cut the tabs off and be done with it but I assume they're present for a reason.
    attached photo isn't my exact specimen.

Attached Files:

2. Ponysoldier

Ponysoldier Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    This isn't normally a problem unless the rubber covering the drive wheels is missing. As far as I know there is no means of adjusting the height of the drive wheels.

3. glaiben

glaiben Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    If the outer plastic case is not seated properly on the metal base, it can alter the position such that the tabs will not allow the wheels to make contact.

4. OP
    OP
    wildbill

wildbill Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I removed the two rear screws on the plastic housing and pushed the base upward. I can't see anything bent or broken. I'll have to dril new holes in the housing to replace the screws. Problem solved.
    Now I've realized that the base turns my drums at 60rpms. Has anyone used a dimmer to slow it down? Will a dimmer damage the motor? What's a good speed for b+w films and pmk and rodinal?

5. Ponysoldier

Ponysoldier Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    As well as I can recall the synchronous motor used in these doesn't respond to changes in voltage - at least not in a useful fashion. It has been several years since I worked on one of these so I may be wrong! I used one at the normal speed for 8x10 sheet film and never had any problems once I had worked out the "normal" development time. For longer development times you may encounter bromide streaking due to the constant rotation in a repetitive pattern.