Beseler Audible Enlarging Timer is messed up or I don't fully understand it.

Discussion in 'Enlarging' started by rpavich, Jan 30, 2016.

1. rpavich

rpavich Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm
    I got a Beseler Audible Enlarging Timer off of ebay. It's in great condition but there is something quirky about it.

The dial on the left is whole seconds and the dial on the right is 10'ths of a second.

There is also a switch below the dials to use 1x or 10x for the timer.

I can set the seconds and the fractions of a second and they seem to be ok, but when I'm doing something like "28 seconds" or "32 seconds" it never comes out right.

Example: I turn the switch below the two dials to 10x and I set the left knob to 1 and the right knob to 0

Should I get 10 seconds?

I get 12 seconds and I'm not sure why.

I'm not ever sure what I should get and I've tried setting some and checking it by the clock but I can't figure the system out. I don't have an owners manual and haven't been able to locate one.

Anyone have one of these and can clue me in?

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2016
  2. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    This thread may help you: (there was a url link here which no longer exists)

3. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    yup you are doing it right. the beeps aren't every second, so don't go by the beeps
    but by the enlarger light being on.

if you can locate the foot pedal for your enlarger timer GET IT. it makes burning and dodging and everything else so much easier

4. dpurdy

dpurdy Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Consistency is what you want. These timers don't last forever. I have gone through at least 3 of them. The beeps aren't accurately a second but they are pretty close. My experience is that they are generally about a 10th second too short so that a setting of 11 seconds will get you 12 beeps. As long as it is always the same it is fine. One of my old ones got only slightly inconsistent so it took me a long time to figure out it was off a couple of seconds here and there and i developed the habit of counting the beeps to make sure it was always what I expected.
    I use the foot pedal and they seem to be indestructible.
    Dennis

5. OP
    OP
    rpavich

rpavich Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm
    Do you have one?

I'm still not sure If I'm using it correctly.

I put the dial on 1 and 10x and watched a clock while it was one and it went on for 12 seconds. I double checked it to make sure.

As it is, I have to double check each time I set a time because I'm never sure that it will stop in the right spot. I'm not sure it's broken, but just that I don't understand how to use it.

6. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    (there was a url link here which no longer exists)

7. OP
    OP
    rpavich

rpavich Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm

Thanks very much!

8. OP
    OP
    rpavich

rpavich Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm
    After some additional contemplation, I guess that (as was said) as long as it's consistent, it's usable. I did buy a Time-o-lite from Fleabay just in case though :smile:

9. sfaber17

sfaber17 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    R10 adjusts the 1x time (clockwise increases time)
    R7 adjusts 10x time (clockwise increases time)
    R20 adjusts audio beep increments (clockwise increases time in between the beeps)

This is what you need in case you have a hard time finding it in the old thread.
    I used a stopwatch and got mine on the money.

10. OP
    OP
    rpavich

rpavich Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks.

If there are any additional tips you can give, that would be great. I may give this a try just for the heck of it.

11. sfaber17

sfaber17 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Just be careful since the board is at line voltage. Maybe use an insulated screwdriver or unplug while adjusting.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

12. OP
    OP
    rpavich

rpavich Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm
    Will do.

13. OP
    OP
    rpavich

rpavich Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm
    Well, thanks Sfaber17!

I just adjusted it with a stop watch and it's about as on as I could wish for.

Thanks again!

14. paul ron

paul ron Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    if you can find an audio frequency generator, set it to 1hz n adjust the tones by ear.

my old pendulum clock ticks exactly ar 1s intervals.

maybe you can find an app for your phone?

15. Mainecoonmaniac

Mainecoonmaniac Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Great darkroom timer. I sold mine years ago for a programmable one. But there a slider switch that has 1X or 10X. The left dial is single whole numbers and the right one is tenths. So if you have the You get 12 secs because you have the 10X selected because the left dial is set at "1" and the right dial is set ".2" . 1.2X10=12.

16. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    yes i have one,
    and i have been using one for nearly 30 years ( purchased 1988 )
    i also have the foot pedal.

just to let you know, i am not someone to tell someone things i don't do myself
    or have personal experience in doing. there are a lot of people on the internet
    who are FOS ... who regurgitate posts that other people make + spew nonsense
    as if they are an expert in one subject or another. i make it a point to NOT be
    one of those people becuase those people make it hard for people with no experience
    to figure out what the heck to do ( unfortunately there are people who are more interested
    in making people think they know what is going on, than admitting they are clueless ) .
    one thing that i have noticed over the years
    is that there are people with very little practical experience ( well, maybe they read a lot of pop photography
    or shutter bug articles ) who usually scream and yell the loudest about all sorts of stuff
    and claim they are an expert, usually have no idea what they are talking about
    and are about as far from expert as they can be ...
    yes, there are exceptions to every rule, and i mean no disrespect to those people who
    are helpful, have bucketsful of experience and generously dispense it ...

YMMV

===

regarding your timer ..
    i never "timed" my timer. i just know the beeps are not accurate.
    i also know, if it is consistent doing whatever time it does, whether it suggests
    10 seconds is really 12 or if 10 seconds is 7 ...
    consistency is really all that matters. if you know x always = y ... that is all that really counts.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.