Beseler 45MXT Consensor to Dichro head?

Discussion in 'Darkroom Equipment' started by optique, Feb 27, 2009.

1. optique

optique Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I was thinking of replacing my existing condensor light source with a Dichro 45S Color head, mostly so I could use the diffusion light source and the dial in contrast setting vs. filters, in my b&w printing. I use VC paper, and in tray Ilford filters currently.

Is there anything I should be concerned about in going from the condensor setup to the dichro setup? Is there anything to especially check or wear out on the dichro head?

Thanks in advance.
    Steve.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 27, 2009
  2. fschifano

fschifano Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Many dichro heads are powered by a transformer/voltage regulator which is connected to mains power. Some also have cooling fans built into the head. Make sure both are working if so equipped. Make sure that the filters move in and out of the light path smoothly too.

3. OP
    OP
    optique

optique Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Frank,

I believe the 45S that I have my eye on is self contained. I will check the movement of the filter knob and fan as you advise.

The seller is a photog and does say it is in perfect shape.

I will see!

Thanks for your reply.
    Steve.

4. Chan Tran

Chan Tran Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Steve! by any chance you would want to sell your condensor lamphouse for cheap? I have a 45 with dichroic head but the head died and I don't have a condensor head. I already got a CB7 with dichroic head for color work, I think it would be nice to get the condensor head for the 45.