Beseler 45mx enlarger/darkroom setup

Discussion in 'Darkroom Equipment' started by Sessions of Light, Feb 26, 2009.

1. Sessions of Light

Sessions of Light Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
  2. dpurdy

dpurdy Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I think it is a great deal if it is in as good a shape as it looks. Probably less than 1/10th it's new value.
    Dennis

3. David Brown

David Brown Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Unless that photo is terribly distorted, the enlarger is assembled incorrectly. It should not tilt back so severely. I suspect that the uprights are mounted backwards and the enlarger itself is on the wrong side of the uprights. I could be wrong. Anyway, when you see it in person, the enlarger head should be 90 degrees vertical, and not tilted.

4. mgb74

mgb74 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'd also verify what negative carriers come with it. Make sure you get at least a couple. Should be easy to find more used but you will be surprised at the cost for them relative to your initial $150 investment.

5. dpurdy

dpurdy Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Hey you are right. It is possible that the enlarger isn't connected to the base board at all and is just leaning against the door for the picture.

6. ann

ann Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    the baseboard has only one way to fit into the strut. and it appears to be correct, look at the baseboard as it sits on the blue rails at the bottom. this is how it should fit.

as david has indicated this is leaning backwards.
    On some of the older models the strut is going the other way, but the whole head whould be setting on the bars in a different manner.

check the enlarger on this site
    http://www.beselerphoto.com/

the 45 shown here is sitting on a special table, but just image it without the table legs and that is how it should be set up.

if this is an older model, it will be similar except the smaller strut rails will be going forward rather than backwards.

hard to explain, but i think if you look on beseler's site it will make more since.

the blue model is from the 70's, but if it is still in alignment and the bellows are tight, it should last longer than most of us.

i would be very careful to be sure that someone hasn't done something strange to have this leaning before investing any money.

7. Chan Tran

Chan Tran Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Look like it has been assembled backward and it is missing to 2 struts for additional support on the main columns.

8. John Koehrer

John Koehrer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    How'd he do that?
    It is definitely assembled incorrectly. I cannot imagine the thought process that got it to that point.
    The good thing is that there isn't much to deal with unless there are missing parts. The struts that Chan mentioned could be sourced direct from Beseler or fabricated from aluminum bought from Menards etc.
    It's got a 35mm Negatrans in the picture which a nice feature.
    A Negatrans is a neg. carrier that transports the negative strip through the enlarger when you turn a knob.

9. Chan Tran

Chan Tran Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    How much do you think the condenser lamp house is worth? I have an excellent 45 but my dichro head died and don't have the condenser lamp house.

10. David Brown

David Brown Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I bought one in excellent condition and complete (not a small thing) for $75 locally off craigslist. I've seen them as low as $25.

11. ann

ann Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    i kept looking at that photo and t hinking, that looks like someone put it together backwards. But how could that be.

glad i am not the only one who had the same thought.

I agree with David, the usual price for a condensor is about 75dollars

12. fotch

fotch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I think you going to have a closer look to tell. The photo is so poor its hard to tell if the picture is distorted or if its the enlarger itself. It looks like the motor and scale shows the support is correctly assembled so to mount on the other side, would require drilling holes, which is unlikely. It would be nice if you could look at one locally first before viewing this one.

Good luck.

13. CBG

CBG Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  14. domaz

domaz Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It's just not locked. It looks like this when you disengage the cast-iron hook that sits on the bottom horizontal rail, this is done to setup the enlarger for horizontal enlarger. Probably just push it vertical slightly and it will lock back in. Hard to explain but easy to see.

15. Chan Tran

Chan Tran Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    But the columms seem to lean backward. They should be leaning forward. But they mate with the base OK. The front side with scale is facing forward which is right. I have to say I can't figure it out.

16. OP
    OP
    Sessions of Light

Sessions of Light Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thank you to all those who contributed responses. I think I'm gonna pass on this due to the fact that it appears to be incomplete. Thank!

17. canuhead

canuhead Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Never used one but I'd imagine that it wouldn't be difficult to reassemble if it is indeed setup backwards. if the price is right, might be worth the hour or so of work.

18. domaz

domaz Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Doesn't help you much but someone was giving away a Beseler 45 with lenses (no baseboard) for free on Seattle craigslist a couple days ago. I think enlargers are like house and stock prices now, they can only go down.