Members
Latest member
GRInfratech
Recent bookmarks

DavidClapp

Shooter
Medium Format
Hi there

Is the Beattie screen the same as the F2 screens, a lens and a fresnel screen combined in a frame?

I have just trashed my Nikon H screen by trying to clean it in an ultrasonic cleaner, as I followed a post here on Photrio. I removed the tape and put each section into a cleaner, rinsed with distilled water.... and its way way worse than it was. I should point out the camera has been refoamed so its not muck from deteriorating camera foam.

I have plenty of film cameras and this camera is hands down the very worst for screen dirt. All the mamiya cameras I own (C330S / C3 / C330F / RZ67 II/ 645 ProTL) literally clean up to perfect with a few puffs of a blower brush.

I love the look of the camera, the design and the feel of the F2AS, but I utterly despise the two piece focusing screens. I have trashed two now. They are clean for a week or so and then they get dirt clogged between the lens / fresnel that just will not shift. Mine looked like someone had ground pepper all over it, then thrown a few pubes in there...(!) so I took a risk of cleaning it and literally destroyed it. It has marks all over the fresnel... Oh well...

I don't want another Nikon screen, so I thought I would try a Beattie screen, hoping they are a one piece design. If its the same two piece lens / fresnel then I am going to sell the camera as I just cant get on with it.

Any help gratefully accepted!

BrianShaw

Shooter
Multi Format
Sorry to read that you destroyed your focus screens. It might be advisable to not clean them so thoroughly in the future.

“H” is a rather specialized screen and, frankly, not the easiest to use. Why not replace it with a Nikon “K” screen? The 2-piece screen was a successful professional product for many decades. Can’t fault the design.

If you’re going to sell, wouldn’t it make sense to sell it in original factory configuration?

Last edited:
OP
OP
DavidClapp

DavidClapp

Shooter
Medium Format
Sorry to read that you destroyed your focus screens. It might be advisable to not clean them so thoroughly in the future.

“H” is a rather specialized screen and, frankly, not the easiest to use. Why not replace it with a Nikon “K” screen? The 2-piece screen was a successful professional product for many decades. Can’t fault the design.

If you’re going to sell, wouldn’t it make sense to sell it in original factory configuration?

Yes youre right, perhaps a K would be the way to go. I just get so sick of looking at a really dirty focusing screen, I just cant get round it. Its like wearing filthy glasses or your car windscreen covered in dirt.

BradS

Shooter
35mm
Good grief! What are you doing or where are you using the F2 to get the focus screen dirty like that? I have and use the Nikon F2. I've carried it everywhere with me - hiking in the Sierra Nevada, dust trails, city streets, even near the ocean.
I just can't imagine the focus screen getting so dirty - especially between the lens and the screen itself. They're sandwiched together. Is your camera is missing the rubber seal around the base of the finder?

OP
OP
DavidClapp

DavidClapp

Shooter
Medium Format
Good grief! What are you doing or where are you using the F2 to get the focus screen dirty like that? I have and use the Nikon F2. I've carried it everywhere with me - hiking in the Sierra Nevada, dust trails, city streets, even near the ocean.
I just can't imagine the focus screen getting so dirty - especially between the lens and the screen itself. They're sandwiched together. Is your camera is missing the rubber seal around the base of the finder?

Thats exactly what I thought...

I had an older black F2AS that failed on me *the DP12 failed and in the end I sold it on Ebay for parts. The screen on that was utterly horrendous, so I bought an H screen (only one I could find at the time) to go in a newer silver and black F2AS I bought to replace it. The screen with this new camera was also utterly filthy, so I put the H in there and a month or so later the H screen now cannot be cleaned, the dirt is in-between the fresnel and the lens.

So today I thought I would follow someones post on Photrio about using an ultrasonic cleaner, but the fresnel has scuffs all over it. I know, its a ridiculous situation, considering I have many manual cameras and they're all spotless with a quick blast of a blower brush. This whole two screen lens / fresnel screen is something I want to bypass if I can.

reddesert

Shooter
Hybrid
How is dirt (or foam grit or whatever it is) getting into the screen? Where is the dirt coming from? If you get a different screen, where do you expect the dirt to end up on it? I think you should address this problem before getting another screen.

FWIW, I am pretty sure you can put a Nikon F screen into the F2. It will also have the two piece construction etc, but it's just another option for finding a fairly normal screen like the A type rather than something unusual like the H. I've had a Nikon F with the same A screen for over 30 years, and although it probably doesn't meet every standard of cleanliness, it's never turned to garbage in a week.

wiltw

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
Before you decide on a Beattie for your F2, you should be made aware that in the early 1990's I tested a Beattie (with Jim Beattie's cooperation, with a loaned screen) screen made to fit the Bronica ETRS. While the Bronica AE-III metering finder had an exposure adjustment control built it, the Brightness difference due to the Beattie was in the wrong direction from the built-in Bronica meter adjustment...so I returned the focusing screen to Jim Beattie, advising him that the Bronica metering finder could not correct for the brightness difference inherent to use of his screen (vs. a Bronica factory screen).
As I was professionally covering weddings and using a variety of emulsions during a job, use of a metering compensation factor would introduce too much opportunity for user error dialing in the wrong EI for the film that was loaded. Admittedly, using a single 36-exp roll of film in 135 format camera has less of an issue about confusion of EI.

Last edited:
  • Sigint
  • Deleted
Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford ADOX Freestyle Photographic Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab Blue Moon Camera & Machine
Top Bottom