Threads
Members
Latest member
shawnmcc
Recent bookmarks

sparx

Shooter
Medium Format
It looks like I have fallen foul of those clear plastic neg holders. Two scratched negs, 1 not to bad but one through the emulsion. Luckily that one was not a great picture but i would like to use the other.
Is there any product or technique people use to repair scratches or mask them somehow? My C&G Tutor swears by nose grease! But that didn't work. I know I can scan it in and retouch but I would really like to print this pic by hand.

PLEASE HELP! :sad:

Aggie

Shooter
Multi Format
You can soak it in warm water and let the emulsion swell. There is also a product that you can apply to fix the scratch, I know David Goldfarb has the name of the product. A third method is to take a red spotting dye and spot the scratch carefuly on the neg, then do some spotting once the print is made. The last being the option if it is a deep scratch.

David A. Goldfarb

Shooter
Large Format
Edwal No-Scratch--best used with a glassless neg carrier. Use film cleaner to clean the neg and carrier afterward.

Kate Mocak

Are you sure that the scratches were caused by plastic neg holders? I had the same problem and found out that it was the development reel. I bought a new one (Jobo) and scratches are gone.

Aggie

Shooter
Multi Format
do you reuse the negative holders? Mine never scratch unless it is an old holder that has gotten crud on it.

Cheryl Jacobs

Shooter
Medium Format
I know some people who swear by Edwal no-scratch. Personally, I think it's great for transforming a neg into a dust bunny, and a greasy one at that.

(It's possible I may be a bit grumpy at the moment, though, given that it's nearly 3 AM and I'm still developing film. *sigh*)

David A. Goldfarb

Shooter
Large Format
No-Scratch is great stuff, but you have to apply it right before enlarging and clean it up afterward, or it will indeed make a mess. Another alternative might be Kami mounting fluid normally used for drum scanning.

mark

Subscriber
I've never understood how this no-scratch works. Can some one explain to me how an oil can hide a scratch.

David A. Goldfarb

Shooter
Large Format
If it's just a surface scratch it fills it in (temporarily), and I suppose it refracts the light in that area in such a way as to make the scratch less visible. Obviously, if the scratch is very deep or a large area of emulsion is missing, then it doesn't work so well, but for the usual kind of light scratches on old negs that would show up with a condensor enlarger, it works.

wdemere

Shooter
35mm
Would the edwal stuff work for little flakes of emulsion missing from the negative? I had a single roll of HP5+ 120 that seems to have been bad, and all of the negs have 10-20 small flakes of emulsion missing which show up as black dots on the print (exactly the same as the problem reported with their C41 film awhile back). Would the edwal work, or is there a better way to fill in all those little dots?

Thanks,

William

David A. Goldfarb

Shooter
Large Format
If they are really tiny--maybe. You could retouch them with dyes or another retoucher's trick for pinholes is to use a pointed tool perpendicular to the base side and lightly prick the surface to diffuse the light over the pinhole. Try it on some scrap negs first!

Aggie

Shooter
Multi Format
If it is a small flake that is missing, you can use of all things, paste type red food coloring. You will end up spotting a white spot on the paper, but it is better than trying to deal with a black spot.

wdemere

Shooter
35mm
I've only got three negs I'm interested in saving, so I'll try some of those suggestions on the other 12 and see what works best. Thanks!

William

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford Photo ADOX Freestyle Photographic Photo Warehouse Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab
Top Bottom