Awful prints with blue highlights. What's the issue?

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by nuckabean, Feb 15, 2009.

1. nuckabean

nuckabean Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I dropped off a roll of film for processing today at the local cvs which usually gives me passable results, not spectacular, but the prints look fine as a 4x6. I got my prints back and while some of them look ok, some of them look really bad. The highlights are tinted blue and there are white bands in the sky of some pictures. I looked at the negative and they seem to be a bit thin as the leader isn't completely opaque but maybe it is all the time and I just don't pay attention. The other thing that I could see being wrong is that the lens is bad. It's an industar-61 that I got on an FED-3. I used a Bessa-T as my body. The rear element of the lens is seemingly splotchy. I've tried to clean it but it just won't come off. I'm fairly certain that it's not bad film as it's fresh Ektar 100.

This is one of the pictures that came out poorly. Notice the blue flags, the orange cast of the rest of the picture, and the white vertical lines in the sky.
    [​IMG]

This is one of the pictures that came out well, I'm quite happy with it, and I'm baffled that it came from the same roll as the first.
    [​IMG]

2. Christopher Walrath

Christopher Walrath Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That happened to me a few times back in my 'Have Someone Else Do It For Me' days and I always took it back and told them to redo in true grayscale.

3. jd callow

jd callow Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    In the first picture it appears that something is foged in striped manner -- either the film or paper. Return the film and ask them to redo it.

4. Cruzingoose

Cruzingoose Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Film to digital print

Just for giggles, ask if the film is OPTICALLY printed. You may be in for a big surprize. Most, if not all minilabs now scan the negative and print the scanned digital image on chemistry and paper. So the film scanner "lost itself" on a few of your negs and the minimum wage teeny-bopper just printed and packaged the results with not a care in the world.

I'm the ONLY ONE in Rapid City area that has the ability to print film optically, by machine and darkroom. As much as a PIA the AGFA MSC minilab is, I've got to keep them going, (yes there are two running units and two more that have been scavenged). Dang power supplies are failing (now at the 10 year old point) and since Agfa no longer exists, some parts are becoming almost impossible to get. Yes, it's cheaper to get a "new" machine, but they all scan the film and print digital.

5. OP
    OP
    nuckabean

nuckabean Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I'm well aware that they don't optically print. Normally the minilab technician does a pretty good job but he wasn't there today and the guy that was acted like a jerk to me. I'll try printing that negative myself to see how it comes out, I do RA-4 in the school darkroom.

Thanks everyone for your help.

6. tiberiustibz

tiberiustibz Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    It looks like fog because it's blotchy. That's the kind of fog I get when using an amber safelight with my color printing.

7. Photo Engineer

Photo Engineer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Since you say that the leader is not opaque and the negatives appear thin, it sounds like it might not be a fogging problem but rather underdevelopment or uneven development. Either way, this is not good.

PE