Arista EDU Ultra VC RC paper

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by BetterSense, Feb 21, 2009.

1. BetterSense

BetterSense Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Although I've never used this paper, I'm considering buying 100 or maybe even 200 8x10 sheets during my next Freestyle order. I've been using Ilford MGIV bought locally and I'm looking to cut costs as much as possible and this paper is some of the cheapest MG RC paper I've seen. My reasoning is that even if it is slightly lower-quality for some reason, it will work itself out to higher overall quality if I am able to print more due to the lower price. And if it's super-horrible, I can put it to use for making contact prints at least. I understand that it is made by Foma, but I was wondering if there were any limitations or weird things to look out for with it.

2. david b

david b Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I use it for contact prints and some prints that I don't really need to be "special". It's worth the money.

3. jim appleyard

jim appleyard Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  4. fschifano

fschifano Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I use it under red safelights, and it's fine. Never tried using under OC safelights, so I can't say for sure. I like the stuff myself.

I wonder who really makes the Ultrafine Plus. It's a little less expensive than Arista.EDU Ultra. Could it be Foma paper under another disguise? Maybe not. It is advertised as having "cool neutral tones." Foma papers tend to be slightly warm toned, and they warm up even more in selenium toner.

The last batch of paper I bought from Ultrafine had Kodak watermarks on the back side of the sheets. I think it's Polycontrast.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 21, 2009
  5. OP
    OP
    BetterSense

BetterSense Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    So much the better IMO. I tend to like warmer tones, for people pictures at least.

6. mike c

mike c Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I bought 100 sheet box of ultra for contact printing and was pleasantly surprised, It has halfway decent blacks, neutral color.

7. mike c

mike c Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    And I have a OC ,used it with no problems. Although the safe lite has a 7 1/2 watt bulb.

8. Anon Ymous

Anon Ymous Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Groups:
    Do their RC papers tone Frank? Have you seen a noticable difference with the Fomaspeed Variant when selenium toned? I'd like to start experimenting with toners, but the convenience of resin coated paper is something I wouldn't really like to part with.

Thanks in advance!

9. fschifano

fschifano Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes, the RC papers do respond to selenium.

10. jim appleyard

jim appleyard Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I don't think Foma makes the Ultrafine line as I can use the UF papers with a OC safelight. Foma could make it, although it would be an entirely different line of paper.

Maybe Kodak makes it? :wink:

11. fschifano

fschifano Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Kodak is completely out of the B&W silver paper business and has been for quite some time. Anything on the market now is at least a few years old, and close to being outdated if it isn't already. So no, I don't think it's Kodak paper. Fuji makes B&W papers, but they are not marketed widely in the US - if at all. Now that's a possibility, and Fuji is known to sell products for re-branding. Think of all the drugstore house brand color negative films that were Fuji in disguise.

Which of Ultrafine's papers are you using, Jim, and what are your opinions of it?

12. jim appleyard

jim appleyard Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi Frank, just joking re: Kodak rebranding the paper.
    I've been using the cheapest (darn, I mean least expensive) one that they have. I use it for contact sheets and work prints, but I really don't like it for finished work. I have trouble getting good blacks with it, but no problem with blacks on other papers. It's slow in addition, but it's the least expensive paper I know of.

13. JRJacobs

JRJacobs Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    When I tried it I got fogging with OC lights as well. I didn't find it to be great paper, but not bad either. The better deal to get is the Arista II paper, which is rebranded Kentmere.

14. arealitystudios

arealitystudios Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I use the Arista.Edu Ultra RC paper quite regularly and rather like it. It's not my favorite paper on earth, but it's certainly not a bad paper either. I've only used the Matt version, never the glossy, but it has some very nice whites to it and a good thickness.

I do a lot of pinhole work with 8x10 film sheets and I find the Arista.edu paper ideal for contact prints with the 8x10 negatives. It's inexpensive enough to the point where I don't feel guilty doing tests with entire sheets of paper. Considering it's pinhole work with a lot of less than perfectly exposed negatives this is very helpful.

I've used it under OC safe lights many times with no problems at all.

The only thing with the Arista paper that I've learned to deal with is that I've noticed it has a more extreme dry down factor than a lot of other papers. It's not a big deal once you get used to it and learn to compensate and its worth the effort to do so.