APUG Mobile Device/Tablet Users, An Update..

Discussion in 'System Announcements' started by Sean, Feb 10, 2016.

1. Sean

Sean Admin Staff Member Admin
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    To our mobile users, I would like to show you a preview of the new dedicated APUG app that will be available soon. This is an app built specifically for xenForo. It should be far superior to what the multi-app solutions such as tapatalk & forumrunner can do. I am not running tapatalk or forumrunner now do to multiple issues they have on the app and security leaks on the back end.

Preview of the new xenForo native iPhone and Android app:

They were hoping for a feb. launch so we'll see. In the mean time I'll see if I can find a temporary solution for you, but I have my hands full with the main site at the moment.

Thanks,
    Sean

2. MattKrull

MattKrull Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    As a unhappy user of Tapatalk, and someone who has to work behind a very restrictive firewall at work, this is great news. Thanks!

3. Newt_on_Swings

Newt_on_Swings Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes! Thanks for looking into this. Tapatalk wasnt all bad, their early version were actually pretty smooth until they started to bloat it, and dump forums onto you, required you to create a tapatalk id, and kept on changing their app layout. What was cool was that they helped host images for you when sending to other users on their servers with a automatic tapatalk link, and it centralized forums for users, before that there wasnt really much that I remember. Nag screens from tapatalk enabled forums were an annoyance though.

I am looking forward to trying it out when it launches.

4. Roger Cole

Roger Cole Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Exactly why when I loaded the first screwball version I ended up deleting it from my phone, reloading the previous version from iTunes, and never upgrading it since.

But yes, yay for an alternative!

5. OP
    OP
    Sean

Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    Roger, part of your woes are our site footer in IOS does not go responsive. I am working on that but it could be a couple days. In Android it's not bad at all.

6. RobC

RobC Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I had a look on my mobile which has a very small screen by comparison with most. It's a Galaxy Ace 3. It seems to work fine although my phone screen is really too small to give a reasonable browsing experience except with minimalist designs specifically for mobiles. The only gripe I have with it on the mobile is the zoom which when I accidentally invoke it, which is often, I'm always having to unzoom it to get it back to proper display.
    My opnion is that since the resposive design is meant to flow and scale everything to fit the screen, zooming shouldn't be necessary and could be switched off by using:

<meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width, initial-scale=1, user-scalable=no'">

I don't know whether other people use zoom or not.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2016
  7. scheimfluger_77

scheimfluger_77 Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Pinhole
    I'm looking forward to it. I am still having the double-tap issue on my iPad to select links.

8. bence8810

bence8810 Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I really enjoyed Tapatalk as it was giving me push notifications of thread updates which I didn't like getting through mails. I am mostly browsing APUG from the phone so am eagerly waiting for the solution! Thanks for the hard work.

Ben

9. pdeeh

pdeeh Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I hope the new app won't be limited to Android devices running only the latest os versions. it would be a real disappointment to try and install it only to be told "not supported on your device"

10. Roger Cole

Roger Cole Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I think you misunderstood me. When I said I loaded "the first screwball version" I was referring to Tapatalk when it started getting bloated. I went back to an earlier version and have not updated it and am using it on other forums and did on APUG up until the change with no issues.

I haven't actually tried this one yet. Is it live now? (In fact I haven't even watched the video yet, sorry!)

11. maciekz

maciekz Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I use zoom to increase font size while browsing with phone rotated, to see some images better etc. Disabling zoom kills half of the usability for me.

12. RobC

RobC Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm not too fussed if zoom remains since I would only use mobile phone rarely anyway. It was more thinking aloud than anything else.

I suspect that if and when an app becomes available, most people would use that anyway.

13. Poisson Du Jour

Poisson Du Jour Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    Ah—! Discovered this thread by chance. I never did think Tapatalk was a satisfactory method of interaction and it's rather clumsy. Much to look forward to with the new mobile development. :smile:

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. rbultman

rbultman Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Any update on the launch date?

Will the app work with DPUG too? I am still able to access DPUG via Tapatalk.

Regards,
    Rob

16. scheimfluger_77

scheimfluger_77 Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Pinhole
    So far this morning it looks like the double-tap/iPad issue is resolved, but a great app is also welcome.

17. OP
    OP
    Sean

Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    It's very close to launch, the team behind it indicate it could be days away.. I'm watching their announcements like a hawk.

18. OP
    OP
    Sean

Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    The dev team behind the new mobile app is indicating the purchase will be available end of this month, fingers crossed..

19. Newt_on_Swings

Newt_on_Swings Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Cool! Any screenshots of how it will look, or the type of functionality it will have? thx!

20. OP
    OP
    Sean

Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    The first post has a video demo of it

21. Newt_on_Swings

Newt_on_Swings Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ah yes i saw that, I thought it would be more customized though and that was why it needed to be built specifically for the site.

22. OP
    OP
    Sean

Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    I'll probably apply some of the APUG styling, etc. The app itself is built for all xenForo forum systems out there who choose to buy a license to sell the app for their forum, so it's not something I'm having built specifically for APUG (that would cost a small fortune).

23. PeterB

PeterB Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hi Sean,
    Any updates on when the xenForo app will be launched?
    Peter

24. Roger Cole

Roger Cole Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  25. OP
    OP
    Sean

Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    The app was supposed to be released end of feb. They claim they had a small set back but are making solid progress. I'm hoping any day now.

26. PeterB

PeterB Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thanks Sean.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.