Anyone Remember Zoom???

Discussion in 'Book, Magazine, Gallery Reviews, Shows & Contests' started by nyoung, Mar 5, 2009.

1. nyoung

nyoung Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    A long time ago, in the 20th century, there was French magazine called Zoom that featured contemporary photography as well as a smattering of lithography and other graphic arts. Huge format 9x12 or maybe even bigger.

It was pretty edgy for its day with the French edition more "out there" than the English counterpart. Distribution in the US was somewhat quirky in the sense that some months we got the English edition, others the French, and sometimes both in the same month.

Is there a publication out there today that would be the contemporary version of Zoom?

2. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have many copies of Zoom, it was published in French & English the two editions weren't always exactly the same. I only subscribed to the English copy but occasionally picked up a French edition amongst the foreign magazines in London, and a couple of times in Paris. Some extremely interesting portfolios, a lot of US Kodachrome work.

So far I've not seen a magazine thats roughly equivalent anywhere.

Ian

Ian

3. Mark Antony

Mark Antony Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I remember it in the 1980's- picked up a few copies it was well printed with good portfolios.
    You can still get issues on ebay.
    After a quick google this turned up:
    http://www.zoom-net.com/common/us/home.asp
    Is it the same people? looks a similar format.
    Mark

4. OP
    OP
    nyoung

nyoung Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Don't know if its the same people but the web site looks like the same idea as the old magazine with added technical stuff.

Debating taking a flier on the $49 subscription for a year (6 issues). seems like it was bi-monthly back in the 80s when I would get it at a local news stand.

5. ozphoto

ozphoto Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    I too used to pick up the odd copy whenever it appeared on the shelf in Australia; actually still have a couple of copies!
    Thought it had disappeared waaay back - was a great mag, but quite pricey even then, about AUS$15-$16 a copy.

6. perkeleellinen

perkeleellinen Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    The link above is to the same magazine, 'same' in the sense that in 2002 they produced a 30th anniversary special (#48). Looks like they're based in Italy now.

7. notchosen

notchosen Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    In fact here in Italy Zoom is still published, but I don't know if it is related to the old french magazine (I nevere read it) or if is something completely different.

Matteo

8. perkeleellinen

perkeleellinen Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    I found the issue numbers rather odd - today's Zoom has numbers that bear no relation to '70s and '80s editions. But in 2002 they did the 30th year edition.