Anyone know how to use the Durst RCP 40 Vario?

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by bottlegardener, Nov 29, 2017.

1. bottlegardener

bottlegardener Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hi all,

I just acquired an inexpensive and relatively clean-looking but also very large(!) Durst RCP 40 Vario (I'd been looking for simple 11x14 colour print drum, didn't have any luck, so I bought this on a whim).
    It did not include the instruction manual and I cannot find it online.

Just wondering if anyone has any clues how to use it?
    Would it be appropriate to run some test paper through with plain water in the tanks?

So far the best info I could find came from this French-language forum. The poster says he had good luck using it for RA4 and it takes 5 litres of both dev and blix. He advises emptying the chemicals and storing them in an airtight bottle after use, rinsing the tanks and making sure the inlet rollers are clean: http://objectif-argentique.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=78

*update* I decided to go for it. it runs.
    Still wondering if anyone has any more info that wouldn't be intuitive.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2017
  2. btaylor

btaylor Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I have a recently acquired Beseler processor as well as a Durst Printo. In the old days I dreamed of being able to buy one of these machines or the Durst RCP, I could only afford drums. The machines are really simple. I measured the time it took for the print to go through each bath to set the time and used a thermometer to confirm the temperature settings. Piece of cake. Just keep the machine clean and you'll be good to go. The Printo machine was encrusted and it took some effort to clean it up but it then worked perfectly. It is a pleasure to use these roller transport machines. Freestyle has a good price on generic 20 liter chemicals. I took the advice of someone here on the forum and replenish at a rate of 10cc per 8x10. That has worked perfectly and kept chemistry costs extremely low. The chemicals last a long time if stored on airtight containers with no oxygen, I use seltzer bottles. Good luck!

3. darkroommike

darkroommike Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Running it with plain water a good idea, and running it with several changes of the water is also good and maybe necessary to flush out old residual chemicals. I would suggest you never turn it on without something in the tanks. And as it runs check for leaks, you may need to replace some hoses or at least tighten a few clamps. (I am speaking generically, never used the Durst, but in my experience with processors, there are always leaks.)

4. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Durst explicitely advises to only start the processor if filled at least with water to not damage it by deformation of parts or pump running dry.

5. btaylor

btaylor Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    +1. Never ever run one of these things dry.

6. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Here is a advice for converting the RCP (20) for RA-4 procesessing.
    http://www.vogelstimmen-wehr.de/rcp.htm
    As a side note: Instead of replenishing the author raises the bath temperature for throughput.

7. OP
    OP
    bottlegardener

bottlegardener Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thank you everyone for the excellent tips and information so far.
    btaylor, are you just using a bunch of 1litre bottles and squeezing out the air? (Thanks so much for the tip on the generic RA4 chemistry btw!)
    Agx, thanks for sending that link. I assembled the .jpg images of the German language RCP 20 manual into a .pdf file with OCR text recognition (for easier searching or copy/pasting sentences to Google translate for folks like me who can't read German) if anybody wants it.
    My RCP 40 seems to run pretty well. Setting the dial for approximately 13-inches-per-minute gives me a developer bath time of 45 seconds and a bleach-fix time of about 40 seconds. So I'm guessing I should set the dev temperature to 35ºC and the blix to 40º?
    I initially described it as "clean-looking" -- looks can be deceiving. Does anyone have a recommendation of a safe way to clean the rubber rollers? After rinsing and friction cleaning with a microfibre cloth numerous times, the rollers are still leaving tiny marks on the test paper I'm running through it.
    Also, there are two non-latching switches labelled 'Control' on either side of the on/off switch (they seemingly correspond to the developer side and blix side). Anyone have an idea what they're for? There is nothing like them in the RCP 20.

8. EdSawyer

EdSawyer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have had good luck using Tile-Magic cleaner to clean developer stain/residue from various C41 and RA4 equipment. Others report good luck using diluted toilet-bowl cleaner on rollertransport machines too. (Fujimoto Cp-31s in this case).

9. darkroommike

darkroommike Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    When I ran a one hour lab with Hope roller transport processors the recommendation was to use Lysol Toilet Bowl cleaner on the rubber rollers, followed by many rinses of water. Never get toilet bowl cleaner anywhere near Chlorox bleach since the acid in the toilet bowl cleaner will liberate chlorine gas. And only do it if you can clean the racks outside the machine in a sink or tray.

10. btaylor

btaylor Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    My encrusted Durst Printo was quite a project to get clean. I took advice I found here and worked with diluted toilet bowl cleaner, a brush and hot water for several evenings. There were a few marks on the initial paper I ran through it, but by the time I had my color correction dialed in the prints were coming through clean.
    The Printo takes 2.5 liters of chemistry and the Beseler 4, so I use 2 liter bottles and several 500ml. The small bottles work great for keeping fresh chemistry for the replenishment scheme. And yes, I squeeze all the air out. The chemistry really lasts a long time. Speaking of replenishment, I don't do it until my session is finished and I am storing the chemistry away. I have had no consistency problems at all. I probably run 30 8x10s in a session, so 300ml to replenish at the end of the session.

11. OP
    OP
    bottlegardener

bottlegardener Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thanks everyone. The toilet cleaner plus many, many, many rinse cycles seemed to help clean it up.
    I ran test prints through it the first time last night. It worked well except for unusual blotchy artifacts on the prints.
    The artifacts seemed to consistently appear on the edge of prints that entered the rollers first. The effect was different every time and not on scans of the negatives.
    Any clues as to what could cause this? The stop bath doesn't have a heater and the room was quite cold, could that have a reticulation effect?
    Excuse the dusty, poor quality scans of these attached test prints. The artifacts I'm talking about are shown in the white rectangles.

Attached Files:

12. Johnkpap

Johnkpap Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I have a Durst RCP 40 in storage, I am going to set it up in the new year once I finish installing the plumbing in my darkroom. Would you like me to scan a copy of the manual ?

johnkpap

13. OP
    OP
    bottlegardener

bottlegardener Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thanks so much John, that would be excellent! I'd be happy to pay you for your time.

14. Johnkpap

Johnkpap Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    No problem I will get it done over the next few days, No I don't want payment, but I might bother you for help when I set mine up in the new year.......By then you will have sorted yours

I will PM you when its done

Regards

Johnkpap

I

15. mpirie

mpirie Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Hi, can you send me a copy of the English version of the instructions please?

Thanks,
    Mike

Last edited: Dec 13, 2017
  16. OP
    OP
    bottlegardener

bottlegardener Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thanks John, I'd be happy to send you any pictures, videos, voltage readings or whatever when you need them.

17. OP
    OP
    bottlegardener

bottlegardener Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hi Mike, just to clarify, it's still in German. But at least you can copy and paste the text and put it into Google translate (which kindly replaces 'Durst' with 'thirsty') etc. I don't have an English version. If that's of any use to you, just send me your email.

18. Johnkpap

Johnkpap Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I have good news and bad news

I found my durst processor manual but unfortunately it is the next model up a Durst RCP 50

But the good is it has a stamp on it, I bought mine from OLDTIMECAMERAS.....And yes they have one for your Durst !!!

https://www.camera-manual.com/model.php?modelid=3293

Sorry I could not be of more help

Johnkpap

19. OP
    OP
    bottlegardener

bottlegardener Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thanks John, I ordered it!

20. mpirie

mpirie Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Understood.

If i get time i'll compile the English version from the German original.....here's hoping it makes sense after Google Translate has done it's bit! :smile:

Mike