Threads
Members
Latest member
Evergreen States
Recent bookmarks

dwdmguy

Shooter
Medium Format
I'm having problems finding a dev time. The massive chat shows HC-110 for 3.5 min for Arista EDU 200. They list no 100.

The box states NR for HC-110 so I'm putting this out there to see if anyone has ever worked with this old film?
Thank you.

Erik L

Subscriber
Shooter
8x10 Format
Hi Tom, I have used this with Pyrocat HD with a time of 7 mins at 1+1+100 dilution. I don't know about about hc 110. It builds contrast pretty fast.
regards
erik

DanielStone

Shooter
Multi Format
use dilution H instead of B. double the dilution, double the time. worked for me at leas with Arista Premium 400 and 100 (Tri-X and Plus-X IMO).

-Dan

ntenny

Shooter
Multi Format
Wait, Arista EDU or Arista EDU Ultra? The former is Fortepan 100, I believe, and the MDC says 4.5 minutes in HC-110 dil B for box speed---but it doesn't seem to be listed there at all under its Arista name; the "Ultra" version is Fomapan 100, and what the OP says about the MDC contents seems consistent with that. My comments below are on the Ultra (Fomapan) version.

I've used HC-110 dil H with this film. The MDC says 9-10 minutes, so I assume that's what I did, but honestly I don't remember---I mostly use PC-TEA and Caffenol with it for tonality reasons.

It looks *beautiful* carefully exposed at 50 and developed in PC-TEA (or, I would assume, in Xtol 1+2)---a long, rich tonal scale with slightly unusual spectral response. I'm not sure how much the look varies with the developer, but in general a lot of people shoot this film at 50---give it a try.

-NT

OP
OP
dwdmguy

dwdmguy

Shooter
Medium Format
Yes, it is indeed the Ultra. I didn't realize this made a difference. Thanks so much guys.

OP
OP
dwdmguy

dwdmguy

Shooter
Medium Format
Thanks, I've already shot this at 100 but I'll shot 25 or 50 in the future. Thanks for the advice.

mike c

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
Tom, I've been using the the 200 (asa 200) version of Arista 5x7 with D-76 1:1 from 8 to 10 min 75deg f..The highlits are a little dense and shadows empty compared the 320 txp I developed at same time and dilution.The tri x 320 was shoot at asa 200 and has good shadow detail and high light detail.So I will lower asa and development for the Arista.Hope this helps. Riight now am unable to download pics to show you.

Mike

Athiril

Subscriber
Shooter
Medium Format
I use Arista EDU Ultra 100, not a big fan of it, I find 10 minutes in Rodinal 1+100 about right for sheets, when exposed properly, I expose as 50 ASA.

The dilution for HC-110 for this is "H" (http://www.digitaltruth.com/data/hc-110-h.php) 9-10 min, Arista 100 EDU Ultra is Fomapan 100 iirc.

Shooter
Multi Format
I just used 20 rolls of 120 Arista.EDU Ultra 100. I find that it looks a lot like the old Agfa APX 100.

Most of the processing times I found online did not suit my process, so I tested it and came up with 8 minutes in Xtol (replenished) with agitation evey 90 seconds to be my 'normal' time. In flat lighting I expand to 9m or 9m30s depending on how much. If there is a lot of contrast I slow down agitation to every 3 minutes and keep the processing time the same at 8m.

The grain is wonderful, it's sharp as a tack, and you may want to expose it at EI 50 or EI 64 to get full shadow detail.

I've used it both with a pinhole camera and a Hasselblad. It's a bargain. I will try the ISO 200 version next time, though. (Shooting at EI 50 is difficult when it's overcast as I like to hand hold my Hasselblad a lot. It's my main portrait camera).

If it's any help to you at all, the Foma 100, 200, and 400 (which really is what Arista.EDU Ultra is) are easier to find processing times for.
I have attached the spec sheet for Fomapan 100 film here. They also don't recommend using HC-110. And I find that to be 'bologna'. All developers work with all films, it's just a matter of finding the right dilution and process.
It does mean, however, that you will have to do the testing. But you would have to do that anyway, since the times listed by manufacturers and places like Digital Truth really just are a recommendation.

Attachments

• Fomapan_100.pdf
    101.3 KB · Views: 58

mts

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
I too have had excellent results for Arista EDU 100 (sheet film) using Rodinal 1:50, 10 to 15 minutes @ 20C. Develop in trays with 1 min. initial agitation and then 5-10 sec each minute thereafter. I agree this is an excellent film that is reasonably priced with "honest" sharp grain.

Andrew Moxom

Shooter
Multi Format
Arista-Edu Ultra 100 is rebadged FOMA film. That said, this film does requires a lot less development than other 100 speed films for some reason. In my attempts with it a year or so back, I did use HC110, but at Dilution H (1:68) @ 68 Degrees in both 120 and in sheet (4x5) With that, it only needed 7.5 minutes development. (That was continuous agitation though) It seemed to work very well with that combination. I also got good results with it in Pyrocat 1:1:100 for 9 minutes @ 70 degrees. Again with continuous agitation.

I did find the film very good, except its reciprocity did leave a lot to be desired! That said, the 120 film I had back then also curled badly. I hear it's not as bad now. I also ran into some sheet film anomalies that I never did figure out the cause of. For whatever reason, I found there were small round blemishes in the film that were not air bells, and no one could figure out what they were. This happened in both HC110, and Pyrocat so I know it was not the developer. I tried different batches of film and the problem still happened occasionally. In the end I settled on other sheet films. I do recommend the 120 versions though. It has old school film look and grain that is wonderful if processed correctly.

ricksplace

Shooter
Multi Format
Andrew -that was an emulsion defect. I had a brick of 20 rolls of 120 that freestyle replaced when I asked about it. I did a search on google and found a thread on it. I think there is a thread on apug as a matter of fact.

I use a lot of this film in 120. I get nice results with minimal agitation and high dilution with HC110. I use 1+100, for 18 minutes. Constant agitation for the first 60 sec, then one gentle inversion only at 15, 12, 9, 6 and 3 minutes as the timer counts down.

mike c

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
Andrew,I've had the same little round blemish also on the 200 Arista sheet film but just once.Haven't used it much and was using a BTZS home made tubes so really didn't Know if it was air bubble or a default in film, the Tri X comes out fine with no problems.

Mike

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford ADOX Freestyle Photographic Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab
Top Bottom