Any interest in a new alt print exchange?

Summer Dreaming

A
Summer Dreaming

It's Winter

A
It's Winter

Cottonwood II

A
Cottonwood II

Recent Classifieds

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GRInfratech
Recent bookmarks

mfohl

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
Yes, I could be in.

OP
OP
Rolleiflexible

Rolleiflexible

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
That makes six so far. I believe I can persuade a seventh to join. That seems like a decent number for an exchange. If you all want to send me addresses, I can compile a list and share it with you.

Rules:

The only rule worth having is that the print must be handmade -- no inkjets. No worries about digital vs. analog cameras or negatives. The print is everything. If it comes from your hands, and you want to share it with us, that's good enough. You get extra credit for including a note that explains the print -- process, paper, toner, title, subject, whatever.

Sizes:

Any size is fine. I am partial to smaller prints. (I often print 4x6-inch images on 5x7-inch paper.) Smaller prints are easier to make, easier to mail, and easier to display. But if you want to let your freak flag fly and print big, go for it.

Timing:

Other exchanges set deadlines of several months. To my mind, putting this on a slow boat is a buzzkill. If you get waylaid, that's okay -- life happens. But I'll be printing my contributions and sending them out within a week or so. I hope you will too.

MurrayMinchin

Membership Council
Council
Shooter
Hybrid
I’ve only made 8 test prints so far (including max black tests) and am still very much at the bottom of the learning curve, so will join on a later round 👍

MurrayMinchin

Membership Council
Council
Shooter
Hybrid
Just checked Canada Post website and the maximum standard letter size is 245mm x 156mm...other countries may differ.

OP
OP
Rolleiflexible

Rolleiflexible

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
I’ve only made 8 test prints so far (including max black tests) and am still very much at the bottom of the learning curve, so will join on a later round 👍

Up to you, but I wish I could have done an exchange when I was farther down the curve. It gives you a reason to print, and puts samples of other processes into your hands. I don’t think this is meant to be a Master Alt Print Exchange.

MurrayMinchin

Membership Council
Council
Shooter
Hybrid
Up to you, but I wish I could have done an exchange when I was farther down the curve. It gives you a reason to print, and puts samples of other processes into your hands. I don’t think this is meant to be a Master Alt Print Exchange.
Good point, but I haven't even done safelight/white light bulb time/fog tests yet. Pure white is paper white, but I'm coating and developing under minimal light at first, just to be sure. Haven't managed to get any high tone textures into a print yet.

I can send some lovely max black tests 😁

OP
OP
Rolleiflexible

Rolleiflexible

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
Good point, but I haven't even done safelight/white light bulb time/fog tests yet. Pure white is paper white, but I'm coating and developing under minimal light at first, just to be sure. Haven't managed to get any high tone textures into a print yet.

I can send some lovely max black tests 😁

Murray, if you are working in a UV-sensitive process, know that most ordinary LED lamps emit no UV radiation. It’s worth borrowing a UV meter to make sure, but my large overhead LED lights emit none, so my “darkroom” stays brightly lit. (Of course I still call it a darkroom and I still dial my telephone.)

MurrayMinchin

Membership Council
Council
Shooter
Hybrid
Murray, if you are working in a UV-sensitive process, know that most ordinary LED lamps emit no UV radiation. It’s worth borrowing a UV meter to make sure, but my large overhead LED lights emit none, so my “darkroom” stays brightly lit. (Of course I still call it a darkroom and I still dial my telephone.)
I'm sure you're right, but after working so hard to make my darkrooms dark (developed 4x5 sheet film in open trays) this dimroom thing is a little disconcerting.

Have a bunch of swatches coated with salt, ready for the silver nitrate and an X made of rubylith tape to see if my LED white light bulbs are actually safe. Also, the room is our old master bedroom (backs onto laundry room so has water) and I covered the 7'x 3' window with 20x24 sheets of rubylith I got from a friend...should be okay, but not 100% sure.

Think it's best to establish if the rooms light is safe right off the bat, so if I get dull high print values I don't waste a whole bunch of time or materials thinking it's a paper, coating, or processing problem.

Last edited:

koraks

Shooter
Multi Format
Salted paper fogs pretty readily; I think your safelight test is actually a good idea. Having said that, I have good experiences with my current setup of warm-white LEDs - for color correction I use cooler white, but when working with sensitized alt. process materials I stick with the warm-white ones.

MurrayMinchin

Membership Council
Council
Shooter
Hybrid
Salted paper fogs pretty readily; I think your safelight test is actually a good idea. Having said that, I have good experiences with my current setup of warm-white LEDs - for color correction I use cooler white, but when working with sensitized alt. process materials I stick with the warm-white ones.
Warm white...good idea. Have cool white right now.

Daniela

Shooter
Multi Format
Would cyanotypes without the use of a negative fit into this?

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford ADOX Freestyle Photographic Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab Blue Moon Camera & Machine
Top Bottom