Any idea on this lens

Discussion in 'Ultra Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by Chris from Oz, Jul 29, 2017.

1. Chris from Oz

Chris from Oz Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Stumbled across this lens the other day at an antique store. Any ideas on what it is or potential image circle?
    I love the idea of doing ulf one day. Is this my way in?
    IMG_20170722_105212-01.jpeg

2. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It looks like a process lens, image circle will depend on the FL and design, which we don't know. You'd have to test it yourself.

Ian

3. E. von Hoegh

E. von Hoegh Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Nope. Would need to know what type, and focal length. It appears incomplete.

4. Dan Fromm

Dan Fromm Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hmm. Two of them.

They smells of an aerial camera. Note the three pins inside the front of the barrel with springs below them. These are probably to hold a filter in place, the arrangement will keep the filter holder from vibrating off the lens. Buzzy things, aircraft.

Probably not a process lens, smallest marked f/stop of the rear lens is f/18, largest marked aperture on the front lens is f/4.5. Both are large for a process lens.

Bill, its hard to be sure without seeing the backs but I think they're complete.

5. Theo Sulphate

Theo Sulphate Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Isn't it just one f/18 lens and its reflection?

6. OP
    OP
    Chris from Oz

Chris from Oz Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    It is just one lens in a mirror in a bookshelf.

I haven't tested it myself for the image circle size. Is there a way to do this in a antique store?

Tia

7. bdial

bdial Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Take a sheet of paper, A4 or similar size, with the paper and lens in a shaded area, point the lens to a bright area, preferably out a window. Focus an image on the paper and see what sort of image circle you get.
    If ULF is your goal, the image would need to be visible on the whole sheet, and then some, perhaps. The distance between the lens and the paper will give you an idea of the focal length, if it's not marked.

8. revdoc

revdoc Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Large Format
    It also has a worm wheel, presumably for focusing.

9. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A process lens typically has no helicoid. And if that worm gear was for shutter cocking, it would not be made all around.
    Also the many holes in that worm gear all are threaded! What I consider the most strangest feature.

Also as that worm gear obviously is intended for some remote control (for whatever) why then is the aperture not remote controlled?

10. EdSawyer

EdSawyer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    definitely looks aerial, so should have fairly large coverage. Most aerial cameras were large format rollfilm, 5x5 and 9x9 or 9x18 (inches) being common image sizes.

11. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  12. Dan Fromm

Dan Fromm Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Oh, and by the way, nearly all lenses for aerial cameras are fixed focus.

Chris, have you looked at the lens closely? Are any markings engraved on it?

Years ago I bought a 1.75"/2.8 Elcan (not the lens we're discussing) in a Vinten F.95 Auto Exposure Unit. I just looked at the AEU. It has a motor that drives a worm that engages something like the driven ring on the lens we're discussing. The driven ring sets the aperture. This isn't to suggest seriously that the lens we're discussing is for an F.95. As far as I know there were no standard issue f/4.5 lenses for that camera and the driven ring in my little Elcan's AEU isn't like the one on the lens we're discussing.

13. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Aerial cameras made for mapping/reconnaisance have fix-focus lenses. However some of the handheld cameras used for oblique aerial photography have a focusing helicoid.

14. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    To me those threaded holes only make sense to have multiple choices to locate an arrest.

15. Dan Fromm

Dan Fromm Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Interesting. Please name some, and not the Peckham-Wray camera 'cos it is really a press camera.

16. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Maybe the one from that ad above and at least one model out of the Linhof range of aerial cameras.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.