Members
Latest member
GreenLeafLawn
Recent bookmarks

Snapshot

Shooter
Multi Format
Hi All,

I'm looking at using Ansco 17 as a film developer. In the book "The Film Developing Cookbook" and "The Darkroom Cookbook" by Anchell and Troop, they indicate that the times for Ansco 17 is roughly the same as D-76. Does anyone have any real world experience using Ansco 17 to confirm that is the case?

OP
OP
Snapshot

Snapshot

Shooter
Multi Format
Nobody? Well, I guess I will have to mix some up and post my findings.

Gerald C Koch

Shooter
Multi Format
The digitaltruth website says 8 to 15 min. Judging from the formula and its relation to D-76 I would try the development time for D-76 1+1 as a start.

ooze

Shooter
Multi Format
I would venture a guess that the restrainer in Ansco17 would require a slight increase in dev times compared to D76 (about 20%). That is at least the case with the Adox MQ Borax formula I tried, which also has half a gram of KBr as restrainer, i.e. similar to Ansco 17.

In any case, you wouldn't be too far off by starting with the D76 times. You would still get printable negs and can then adjust dev times for next films from there.

Cheers

Ian Grant

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
Well Agfa suggest 15-18 mins for Agfa 44 (which is identical to Agfa Ansco 17) at 20ºC. GAF (Ansco) suggest 10-12 minutes for Fone grain films in a tank.

Ansco 17/agfa 44 is similar to Adox borax MQ and requires approx 20% longer development times compared to D76/ID-11.

Ian

OP
OP
Snapshot

Snapshot

Shooter
Multi Format
Hi Everyone,

Thank you for your input. I'll try D76 times + 10% as a start point and move up from there. This seems to be a good compromise on what is known and still get printable negatives.

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford ADOX Freestyle Photographic Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab
Top Bottom