Members
Latest member
donaldmturners
Recent bookmarks

nwilkins

Shooter
Medium Format
Hi there,

I am thinking of buying a Plaubel Makina 67 camera - I have been sent pictures from the seller, and it looks like a Makina except there is no model name on the front - it just says Plaubel on the bottom left of the camera front. Does anyone know why this is? I have never seen a picture of one like this. Pictures are attached.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_2484.JPG
    IMG_2484.JPG
    46.6 KB · Views: 225
  • IMG_2485.JPG
    IMG_2485.JPG
    47.8 KB · Views: 276

ann

Subscriber
Shooter
35mm
Mine looks like that, i will have to get it out and double check the name.

smolk

Shooter
Medium Format
It should say Makina 67 at the left hand top on the front, Makina in white, 67 in red. Has it been repainted? I do know of "Plaube" instead of "Plaubel" but not this. IMGP8068.jpg
Make sure the meter works (very expensive repair; you may not use it, but the resale value would be affected substantially).

Last edited by a moderator:

frotog

Shooter
Large Format
You might want to hold out for a 670, the later model of this camera, for the following reasons:
1. 220 and 120 film compatibility.
2. Shutter trigger tapped for cable release.
3. More robust light meter
4. Oftentimes sells for around the same price as a 67.

If you're hot to get this particular camera you should get more info from seller. It does look like it's been repainted.

ann

Subscriber
Shooter
35mm
Just got out my Makina and I am sorry , it isn't like the one in the photos.

Mine says Makin 67 at the top left corner with Plaubel at the lower edge. It is similar with the lens extended , which threw me off.

My meter stop working some time ago and when I tried to have it repaired I was told by more than one source that the parts are no longer available.

It wasn't a show stopper as I several hand held meters.

Last edited by a moderator:

Trask

Subscriber
Shooter
35mm RF
Is it possible that just as people used to put black tape over the camera name to make it look "pro", perhaps a prior owner rubbed off the name (assuming the name isn't usually engraved) on purpose.

Nice camera -- I've got the 67W, great travel camera.

smolk

Shooter
Medium Format
Is it possible that just as people used to put black tape over the camera name to make it look "pro", perhaps a prior owner rubbed off the name (assuming the name isn't usually engraved) on purpose.

Nice camera -- I've got the 67W, great travel camera.

I believe the name was engraved, so something should still be visible in that case. Can't check, I sadly no longer have it.

smolk

Shooter
Medium Format
My meter stop working some time ago and when I tried to have it repaired I was told by more than one source that the parts are no longer available.

It wasn't a show stopper as I several hand held meters.

I agree about the hand meters.
However, as recently as last year I believe the original company, Plaubel, in Germany, still repaired the cameras (esp. the light meter) and they may still do today.
It is a complicated job, but what's wrong is that the wires have gone, and these are always replaceable. The film advance mechanism, if it needs repair, may be another story.
Still, a repair probably costs you €500 or so based on what I read online, which is a lot of monery for a meter which is bested by a hand-held meter.

OP
OP

nwilkins

Shooter
Medium Format
well I'm not too worried about the light meter but the main problem with this camera is that the viewfinder glass is broken. So that would be the main repair. I'll have to look into that. But the camera is priced low so I could afford to have that repaired if it wasn't a crazy expensive job. As for the missing name I do wonder about that.

ann

Subscriber
Shooter
35mm
the name isn't just painted on , it is engraved into the metal at the least with the 67

AgX

Shooter
Multi Format
If it was just painted on, I would have guessed that the lettering rubbed off by use. At least partially, and the owner may have rubbed off the rest intentionally .
Converning the engraving: I do not see an engraving in the photograph of the OP's camera.

OP
OP

nwilkins

Shooter
Medium Format
yeah there's definitely no engraving. the seller says it's always been like that. the lens looks correct. could this be some kind of copy or fake? It is dubious with the broken glass too but the price is so low it might be worth it?

AgX

Shooter
Multi Format
If I'd fake something, I'd do it right, with all lettering.
A version non yet engraved, nor lettered seems more plausible.

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford ADOX Freestyle Photographic Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab
Top Bottom