Alternative for Gossen Starlite

Discussion in 'Exposure Discussion' started by luxikon, Feb 12, 2009.

1. luxikon

luxikon Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Only a few months after the period of warranty was over my Gossen Starlite ran down. I don't want to let them repair it because it shall cost 1/3 of the purchase price. So I am looking for a hard-wearing spotmeter which has all the zone system options as contrast and multi metering or setting the metered value to any zone I like. Can you give me an advice what to buy?

2. tony lockerbie

tony lockerbie Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Don't know if I can recommend a meter to you, but I haven't been all that happy with my Starlite. At the moment I am back to using my Lunasix 3 with it's 7.5 and 15 degree spot attachment, which is re-calibrated for S76 batteries.
    There is a Sekonic meter, can't recall the model, which is similar to the Starlite, and this may be an alternative. I have never owned a Sekonic, but have heard good reports on them.
    Tony

3. OP
    OP
    luxikon

luxikon Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome to the club Tony. I'm back to my Lunasix 3 too. It works for over 30 years now and has been in deserts and at the polar circle. Whereas the Starlite only functioned for 2 1/2 years and did not leave Germany.

4. amac212

amac212 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I must have lucked out. I've had my Starlite for about 5 years now. Works great! I too cannot recall the model number but yes, there is a very similar sekonic model...

5. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    The Sekonic L758 D is the nearest meter to the Starlte.

6. Doremus Scudder

Doremus Scudder Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    The Pentax digital spotmeter with a Zone System dial added is the meter of choice for many "Zonies" and the one I use. Adding the dial (available as .pdf somewhere on this site) allows placing metered values in any Zone you choose. The multi-metering function, however, is in your head or on the worksheet. The meter is reliable, rugged, lightweight and compact. Maybe it will meet your needs.

Best,

Doremus Scudder
    www.DoremusScudder.com

7. Q.G.

Q.G. Inactive

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    "Zonies" looking for a meter should seriously consider the Gossen Spotmaster.

Its Zone-mode does more than just supply a zone scale.
    It shows you interactively how the metered values, the 'zone placement', shift on the scale, how the contrast range expands or contracts, when changing the processing parameter.
    It then of course also tells you how to expose for the choice you made after playing around with the placement on the zone scale.
    Hard to better.

The only downside of this meter is its amazing appetite for batteries.