Altamont to America: Bill Owens and the Legacy of Suburbia

Discussion in 'Book, Magazine, Gallery Reviews, Shows & Contests' started by Vaughn, Aug 9, 2018.

1. Vaughn

Vaughn Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Altamont to America: Bill Owens and the Legacy of Suburbia

Opening Aug. 18th, thru October 20, 2018

PhotoCentral, Hayward, California

I am heading down this weekend to Hayward to help a friend, Geir Jordahl, finish up the last details of this show. The opening is Saturday, August 18th, 2018. It is also a celebration of Bill's 80th Birthday, so join us if you can and wish him a happy birthday. I am sure there will be cake! I will also be there, so say hello!

Geir is a curator with few peers. He and his wife, Kate, are incredible book editors and they have put together a book for the show -- worth checking out.

But to see the show will be a must! Next year is the 50th anniversary of Altamont and there might be some international shows happening (45 years since Suburbia). Bill opened the first microbrew pub in California (Buffalo Bills) in Hayward -- lot of the original brewpub fixtures, etc are now at the Smithsonian. Bill is active in the distilling industry.

Dead Link Removed

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
  2. Theo Sulphate

Theo Sulphate Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Wish I could be there - sounds wonderful.

3. Peter Schrager

Peter Schrager Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Love bill Owen's.

4. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I was there...
    ...well not in CA but I grew up in a 'Suburbia' not unlike that pictured in the book during that time period depicted. Love that book and hope the show will come my way.

5. nbagno

nbagno Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I plan on being there, I'll say "hi"

6. OP
    OP
    Vaughn

Vaughn Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Same here -- in a housing track built to supply the returned WWII vets with houses as the "Greater LA Area" grew. Wide tree-lined streets...thoughtfully laid out into smaller neighborhoods -- not one great big grid pattern. The area was a country club with polo grounds and golf course -- all became houses. City park within a couple blocks, Indian Guides, Cub Scouts, Methodist Youth Group, Boy Scouts (alas, 3 merit badges short of Eagle Scout), Little League, and basketball in high school. Mostly white, but with a big influx of Chinese immigrating from Hong Kong and large populations of Mexican and Japanese Americans. My first job was a couple years as a stock boy at a local department store. Amazing I made it out alive...LOL!

Always interesting that I ended up packing mules, building trails, and fighting fires for the US Forest Service. It is possible to shake the city out of the boy...This next week in the big city is about all I can easily take these days (and most of my time will be in the darkroom and gallery).

See you there, nbago!

7. Richard Man

Richard Man Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It will be a great show! I did a small part made a collage for one of the books. Here's Geir with the collage print.
    bill_owens_working_collage.jpg

8. OP
    OP
    Vaughn

Vaughn Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Great collage!

9. Bob Carnie

Bob Carnie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    Do all you west coast guys have monster beards.. just sayin..

10. BradS

BradS Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm

and Tevas !

(or Birkenstocks...depending upon your disposition and preferred environment).

11. Carter john

Carter john Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Yikes, I've been to that 'gallery, etc,' I worked in Hayward for 32 years, and I like Bill Owen. So, I'll go, thanks for the tip. (I also ate many lunches at Buffalo Bills over the years.)

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
  12. DREW WILEY

DREW WILEY Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Bob - if you study our history, you'll recognize the purpose for beards. John Muir began the custom of wrapping himself in a long beard at night to keep warm, just like a snow leopard uses its long bushy tail. Well, I don't have a beard, so I need to carry a sleeping bag. The redcoats who got chased out of this country back in the Revolutionary War used big white wigs. Is that still the custom in Canada?

13. OP
    OP
    Vaughn

Vaughn Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Yes -- and to repeat, Tevas. Actually, I am considering trimming my beard tonight -- down closer to my avatar image.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Bob Carnie

Bob Carnie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    Whats a Tevas?? I think you all would be stopped up here by children thinking you are Santa Claus. I have never had the guts to grow a beard as I am so short someone would mistake me for Dopey and send me back to Disneyland.

16. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    talk about weird.. i was watching spongebob squarepants last night and the 2 stars were cursed and turned into ghosts as a punishment
    by the flying dutchman when they ran wild with a lawnmower a the cemetary and shaved off his beard ( he was getting ready for a hot date )
    ... "took 1000 years to grow this beard" he railed ...
    vaughn i hope when you need it to be long again it doesn't take an eternity !

==
    and regarding the opening post, sux being in new england everything i want to and wish i could see is thousands of miles away ...
    this, rory's show, bob's in toronto ..
    sounds like a fantastic show and watering hole!

==
    bob tevas are sandals :smile:

17. OP
    OP
    Vaughn

Vaughn Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I spent most of last December in Japan (Kyoto and south). You should have see the grins and heard the giggles as I walked down the street! All the Xmas music in the stores was a little obnoxious, though.

18. OP
    OP
    Vaughn

Vaughn Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    The Show is coming along fantastically! It will be a unique event -- besides Bill's images, there are items from his personal history, a clip from a documentary on Bill that is underway, a beer garden set up for the opening reception, and of course, Bill himself will be at the opening.

19. Roger Thoms

Roger Thoms Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Sounds like a great event, back in California so I should be able to make it.

Roger

20. OP
    OP
    Vaughn

Vaughn Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I'll put this link in again, with a suggestion of scrolling down and reading about the book that has been produced for the show. Comes with a signed Bill Owens Silver Gelatin print (about 5"x7"). Limited edition of 100 books, $85. Think about it.

Dead Link Removed

21. BradS

BradS Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm
    I'm in town so, planning to stop by this afternoon. Really looking forward to it. Hope to meet some APUGers in person.

22. Roger Thoms

Roger Thoms Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Leigh and I are heading over shortly, looking forward, should be a great show. Brad if you recall I bought your Speed Graphic (years ago), hope to see you there.

Roger

23. BradS

BradS Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm
    Here now. What a zoo!

24. Carter john

Carter john Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I went also, lots of people in a small venue, but certainly very worth it. Thanks for the tip Vaughn; I would never have seen anything about it.

25. Carter john

Carter john Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    My friend and I were arguing about what cameras (format) he used (???). Vaughn do you have any ideas?

26. Roger Thoms

Roger Thoms Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Really enjoyed the show, ended up with a t-shirt, book, and a print. :smile: Met Bill Owens who was quite gracious and looked great for 80 years old.

Was certainly a zoo but still very enjoyable.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.