Threads
Members
Latest member
philipandre
Recent bookmarks

Photoguy365

Shooter
Multi Format
Hi all! I'm getting back into photography after a 15 year hiatus. I studied photography in college in the early 90s, and was a newspaper photographer from roughly 1994 through 2001. 35mm was king, and the F5 was the camera of my dreams. When I left my last photo job, I put the camera down. I'm not sure why, as I had always loved the process of photography.

Anyway... it's 2018. I currently own an F4s, F5 and a D90. Have several (what I consider) nice lenses. When I purchased the D90, it was more than enough camera to take pictures of the kids and family vacations. My 12 year-old daughter has recently expressed an interest in photography- which in tern has sparked a renewed love for it within me. While I have what I consider two of the best 35mm cameras around, it is beyond difficult to find a processing facility these days.

So I am now looking to add a second Nikon DSLR to my list. I plan to purchase something in the used market, and would like an FX model. I was thinking about perhaps the D800- as this would allow me to take advantage of the lenses I already own. I know it's not the "latest greatest," but it would allow me to up the megapixel count without breaking the bank. I would love to hear your thoughts on this camera, and any other suggestions that you might have. Thank you in advance!

Eric Rose

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
Don't discount the D700. I used it professionally for years. Once I retired I sold it and regret it. The D800 or 810 are great cameras but still go for a premium used. On another note don't get into the mega pixel mindset, an FX camera with at least 12M is all you really need.

Kirk Tuck a working and very busy pro photographer in Austin has a wonderful blog on photography. As a working pro he has a different take on things when compared with the usual stuff you read. Since you worked in the industry and made a living at photography I think you would appreciate it.

Kirk is currently on an old Nikon kick. He went out and bought a D2xES and a D700 and various lenses. Years back when he had a D700 for work he hated the camera, said it had no soul, but has come around to loving it now. Anyway here is a link to his blog. It's a treasure trove of great information and just general thought around photography.

https://visualsciencelab.blogspot.ca/

Last edited:

Sirius Glass

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
As post #2 points out there are still places that can process the film, make prints and return the negatives.

OP
OP
Photoguy365

Photoguy365

Shooter
Multi Format
I was actually at Houston Camera Exchange earlier today. Picked up some Ilford HP5. I didn't see anything there to suggest that they actually processed film. I guess I need to call and ask.

I know my D90 is a 12MP camera. I was thinking I should look at moving up a bit. Maybe not? I know I definitely want an FX body though. I'll look into the D700 as well, if you think the IQ is good.

Ko.Fe.

Shooter
Digital
Any digital FF DSLR with 12MP or higher is still good, if it is still working.
To be honest, I think, in modern DSLRs IQ was sacrificed for more MP and mega ISO.

OP
OP
Photoguy365

Photoguy365

Shooter
Multi Format
Alright... After reading several reviews, I purchased a lightly used D700. Thank you for the advise!

pbromaghin

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
I was actually at Houston Camera Exchange earlier today. Picked up some Ilford HP5. I didn't see anything there to suggest that they actually processed film. I guess I need to call and ask.

I know my D90 is a 12MP camera. I was thinking I should look at moving up a bit. Maybe not? I know I definitely want an FX body though. I'll look into the D700 as well, if you think the IQ is good.

There's nothing about it on their website, either. I saw a comment somewhere that said they no longer do processing but do recommend another place for it - the place wasn't mentioned. I guess I steered you wrong. Sorry.

Eric Rose

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
The difference between 12M pixels on FF and the same on DX is very visible. In both IQ and DR.

You will be happy with the D700. Shoot it in uncompressed RAW. The files are around 23M.

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford ADOX Freestyle Photographic Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab
Top Bottom