Advice sought: Is this Blad a prospect?

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by stillshunter, Feb 23, 2009.

1. stillshunter

stillshunter Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Was just hoping for some input on my prospective purchase of a Hasselblad 500C/M. The unit is in fair/good condition, but I am trying to get beyond the aesthetics as I know Blads take a nice photo. :wink:

The unit is a good price (around US$250) but I have some concerns about the lens. It needs a CLA - at minimum...as the shutter clams up slower than 1/15, but bulb works. So I'm assuming the CLA and replace slow spring should do the trick. I have attached some photos as I'm concerned about a chunk out of the front lens frame. I am assured filters will still thread on, but I wondered whether this is something I should be concerned about?...I'd love to know how it happened but the guy just "got it that way".

Your advice is appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. bdial

bdial Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It would be good to get the owner to demonstrate.
    Hasselblad filters fit very precisely. My 80 is dinged in almost exactly the same place, and it's very difficult to get Hasselblad filters on and off, especially off. Aftermarket threaded adaptors have a much looser fit, and do ok on mine.
    Not only the lens, but likely the body and the back also need a CLA. For the resulting total, you can probably get one that's in better shape to start with. For the lens, even with a CLA, it will always be worth substantially less than a similar 80 with an undamaged front.
    Your concern as to how it got that way is well warranted too, as it may have resulted in internal damage that could affect the sharpness, or even the ability to repair the shutter.

3. Dan Henderson

Dan Henderson Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I agree with bdial on the demonstration. It would be ideal to run a roll of film through the camera before buying if logistics permit. That said, it has been several years since I have had to buy any Hasselblad equipment and I know that prices have dropped, but $250 seems like a good price for a body, lens, and back. I may have paid about that much for the last back that I purchased.

4. John Koehrer

John Koehrer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The slow speeds are controlled by a clockwork timing mechanism and over time the lube dries out. It just needs a CLA. Unless the escapement is trashed for some unknown reason.

5. Andrew Moxom

Andrew Moxom Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I would avoid this camera. The lens has been dropped, and you don;t know if the camera was with the lens either when it was dropped :smile:

6. bill schwab

bill schwab Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm never one to pass on a Blad, especially a whole camera with lens for $250.00! Even at today's prices. But I think I may side with Andrew on this one unless you can get the seller to demo it for you. If it really only needs a CLA, go for it. I had a lens like this I got with a used purchase that was in only slightly better cosmetic shape and was full of scratches in the lens coating. Only wanting the body and the back, I put the lens on eBay with full disclosure and detailed photographs of its crummy shape. I figured someone would want it for parts.... it sold for $350.00... more than I bought the whole rig for.

7. archphoto

archphoto Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    If it is a private seller: ask him if you can shoot a roll of film through it.
    Expose some shots with a wide open lens, photograph a brick wall.
    If the photo comes out evenly sharp buy it, then it is just cosmetics, if it is not even forget it.

Peter

8. Jerevan

Jerevan Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I would pass it up. There are more Hasselblads out there.

9. Q.G.

Q.G. Inactive

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    In such cases, i think it would be best to ask the seller to have the kit CLA'd, and get back to you when it is done.

If the seller is convinced that a CLA or a minor repair is all the camera needs to get going, it would be a worthwhile investment for him, turning the non-functional crap into something he can sell as a functioning bit of equipment, and get more money for it accordingly.
    And, provided the repair is not disproportionally expensive, he then has a buyer lined-up already.

If he declines, it probably is because he knows it is a no-hoper, and any money spent on it will be money wasted. (Not necessarily because it is beyond repair, but also perhaps because you can get better gear for less money).

As it is, i too would pass.

10. walter23

walter23 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I've heard (though I don't know for sure) that you pay quite a premium for hasselblad repairs at most places that do it. So I wouldn't expect the CLA to be cheap; I'd price that out first rather than just assuming it won't be too bad.

However $250 seems a pretty decent price for the body & film back alone, assuming those are operating properly. Those film backs can be expensive.

And yes, I side with the others here in that buying a non-functional piece of equipment in the hopes of getting it repaired can be a bad idea. I've done it a few times myself and it's never worked out, but then I've never actually sent anything to a proper shop for treatment by an expert - just tried to fix things myself. So I'd make figuring out the cost and availability of that as a priority before making my decision.

11. OP
    OP
    stillshunter

stillshunter Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thank you one and all for your advice. I am leaning towards letting this opportunity pass. I am concerned about what's happened to the cameera as a whole to cause this damage. Looking at how these things are built it must have taken a very solid knock or had a good deal of weight behind it when it was dropped - i.e., with the body and back following close behind.

I know it is a great price - even if I count it as a good investment in a back and body. However, looking at lens prices, I'll be spending **at least** twice as much on just finding another 80mm glass to complement my bargain package - to get an operational kit going. Maybe the hunt continues...

12. jordanstarr

jordanstarr Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I sent my Hasselblad 500c/m into a shop in Vancouver with 2 backs to get fixed. The bill was $450 for everything ($250 for the body, $100 for each back). You really might want to think twice about it. Sometimes it's worth paying extra for something you know will work well for some time to come. It seems a little too risky to me for all the aforementioned reasons in this thread.

13. epraus

epraus Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    You get what you pay for. Move on!

14. walter23

walter23 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Ah, yep - confirmation of the rumours I've heard that getting hasselblad stuff fixed is expensive. You could buy a complete working RB67 setup or bronica for the price of this repair bill alone.

15. OP
    OP
    stillshunter

stillshunter Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Understood. So then, the often asked question....Mamiya or Bronica? Which comes closer to the Blad experience. If such a state is achievable?

16. epraus

epraus Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Neither is REMOTELY comparable!