Advice Needed: top enlarging lens for Beseler 67

Discussion in 'Enlarging' started by Colin Corneau, Nov 20, 2017.

1. Colin Corneau

Colin Corneau Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Came into a great condition Beseler 67, sans lens board and lens.

Since I'm starting from scratch, in a way, I'd like to do it right the first time. Needing a lens for this camera to print (mainly) 6x6 negatives and *possibly* 6x9 (but not necessary).

Any advice for a sharp, contrasty lens for this, so I can get the most from my prints? Points gratefully accepted!

2. tedr1

tedr1 Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The normal lens for a 6x7 negative is 90mm, for 6x9 105mm. f5.6 models are probably common and inexpensive. Focus wide open and stop down 2 or 3 stops for exposure. Rodenstock, Schneider and Nikon are the "big 3" enlarging lens makers. Last time I looked on ebay.com there were plenty of these.

PS a cheap lens may be a false economy, lenses last forever, get a good one and print happily ever after :smile:

3. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    For your enlarger, the lens boards are quite small and it is easiest to obtain lens boards with a hole that works with lenses and retaining rings with 39mm threads, so I would recommend looking first for lenses that offer that.
    90mm is the ideal focal length for 6x7. I have a Beseler Color Pro 90mm lens (most likely manufactured by Schneider I think) and it worked well with my Beseler 67. My 80mm Rodagon f/4 also works well with 6x7 on my Omega D6, so I would have no hesitation using it.

4. TmRn

TmRn Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    I had a version of this enlarger many years ago. There's a reason it's called "67" - trying to print 6x9 might be pushing or exceeding its capabilities. If I remember correctly, I tried a 105mm El-Nikor and ran into problems with focus. I ended up getting a 4x5 enlarger and never looked back.

5. Tony-S

Tony-S Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Definitely cannot print 6x9 on this enlarger. Need the Beseler 23 for those.

I use a Schneider 100mm f/5.6 Componon-S for my 6x7 negs with my 67C-XL.

6. OP
    OP
    Colin Corneau

Colin Corneau Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    That's a (rather obvious, in hindsight) great point I'd neglected to notice! Thank you.

7. mshchem

mshchem Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    80, or 90 will work fine. 105 too, I recently picked up a Vivitar 100 VHE, a Componon -S with a big rubber ring, fabulous lens.

8. nworth

nworth Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Get the best lens you can possibly afford, even if it means some sacrifice. "Economy" lenses are always a disappointment and will cost you in the long run. All the lens manufacturers built both quality (professional) and economy (maybe "amateur") lenses, so the type is important as well as the manufacturer. Generally recommended are Nikon EL-Nikkor, Rodenstock Rodagon, and Schneider Companon. There are others (Fuji made some excellent lenses), but these are the most common and reliable. 90 mm is preferred for 6X7 and is also appropriate for 6X6. 105 mm lenses will also work, although enlargement will be somewhat limited for 6X6. The Beseler 67 enlarger was not designed for 6X9, although you can enlarge a section of a 6X9 negative.

9. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Actually, Schneider Componon.

10. RalphLambrecht

RalphLambrecht Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    look or an 80mm and a 105mm for your 6x6 and 6x9 negatives respectively. Any name-brand, six- element lens in good condition will satisfy even critical demands; enlarging lenses are cheap these days. So, look for Nikon, Schneider or Rodenstock fitting your enlarger.

11. mgb74

mgb74 Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Is yours the single column version? You can substantially improve the quality of your enlarging lens - in effect - for pennies by bracing the top of the column to the wall.

12. Arklatexian

Arklatexian Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Will you be doing mostly Black and White or Color? If black and white some of the older high quality lenses might be a better bet than some more "modern" lenses that cost 2 arms and 2 legs, even used. I have in mind Enlarging Ektars, which are available in many focal lengths and others..........When you get as good as those lenses are, then look for bells, whistles, and layer after layer of coatings.........Regards!

13. RalphLambrecht

RalphLambrecht Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    very true

14. RidingWaves

RidingWaves Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Nikon has an optical story about the 80mm Nikkor at http://imaging.nikon.com/history/story/0064/index.htm
    I can attest to the quality of the lens and what I really admire about the design is that its very easy to disassemble to clean. I mostly use it for the 6x6; I don't shoot 6x7 but switch lenses to a 105mm for the 6x9 I sometimes shoot.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.