Advice Needed: Mint (and I mean MINT) Nikon F2

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by Colin Corneau, Dec 8, 2018.

1. Colin Corneau

Colin Corneau Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Hi all,
    A friend asked me to help her sell a Nikon F2 and 50/1.4. This thing has not a mark on it - it's literally the cleanest camera I've ever seen. Shutter speeds all sound 'on' - it's a jewel.

She has no idea what to ask for it, and to be honest neither do I. I have found varying prices in all the places my admittedly limited experience has led me.

Can I ask (if it's appropriate) what a ballpark is for something like this? It's black body, for what it's worth. Still has the instructions and metal lens hood. Did I mention it's flawless?

Thanks for any advice....

2. Les Sarile

Les Sarile Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm
    Look at the sold listings on ebay - upwards of $300 depending on included pieces.

3. raizans

raizans Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

What finder does it come with? If it's a plain prism, the camera could sell for $1600-2000. Selling the lens separately is a good idea, and that can go for $200-300 if it's AI-S.

4. OP
    OP
    Colin Corneau

Colin Corneau Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I believe it's the metered prism.

5. jimjm

jimjm Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If it's got the standard Photomic DP-1 finder, in the condition you describe, and 100% functional, the the body alone might fetch between $300 - 500 USD. Clean black bodies bring a higher price than chrome. If it's got a later finder like the DP-12, seen here, then that'll push it to the higher end of the range. Often, the F2 meter heads need service after many years, so even if it looks pristine it's common for the meter to be inaccurate or non-functional. These usually cost a few hundred to have serviced.
    If the lens is also in similar condition to the body, optically and mechanically, an early non-AI lens might run around $100 and a later AIS lens between $150-200.
    The only case in which the value's going to be significantly higher is if the camera is truly new, with the original box, instructions, etc. Then you've got collectors who are willing to pay more for one of these - maybe up to $1000?

6. Theo Sulphate

Theo Sulphate Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Despite its cosmetic condition, it's roughly 40 years old and the lubricants should be replaced - the usual CLA.

7. Alan Gales

Alan Gales Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I'd let the new owner take care of that. Since the camera is going to be sold, the Seller will not recoup the full price of a CLA.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.