Threads
Members
Latest member
Martin C
Recent bookmarks

photomem

Shooter
Medium Format
I was given a 50.00 visa gift card as an early Christmas gift. 10 Minutes later, it has .09 on it. :smile: I have several rolls of film coming, including two rolls of Adox CHS 25 and two rolls of Adox CHS 50. I also ordered a bottle of Rodinal. I was wondering if this would make a good film/developer combination.

Also, can someone explain to me how the different dilutions affect film, I am a bit fuzzy on the effects.

One more thing.. any helpful tips on Ilford SFX, I finally splurged and got some.

edtbjon

Shooter
Medium Format
It will most certainly be sharp. Rodinal does show some grain, but with these films it's in my mind a very good combination. You can always find most dev/film combos on the massive developer chart at digitaltruth.com. The Adox CHS films are rebranded Efke films, so if you cannot find e.g. a Adox/Rodinal combo, you can exchange "Adox" with "Efke".
There are long-winding discussions on developer dilution, just search this forum for "dilution" (and maybe also "Rodinal") and your next couple of nights will be occupied. In short, there isn't that much difference, but a more concentrated developer works more intense and doesn't wear out that quick. This is good for low contrast scenes, where you want to retain or even raise contrast a bit. A more diluted developer will exhaust a bit in the highlights between each agitation cycle and will thus keep contrast back a bit. Good for high contrast, e.g. sunlit, scenes.

//Björn

Stan160

Shooter
35mm
Some examples of CHS50 and Fomadon R09 (equivalent to an older formulation of Rodinal) here. The pictures are from two different films, one developed at 1+40, the other at 1+80 (equivalent to Rodinal 1+50 and 1+100).

Ian

P C Headland

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
I think you'll find them a great combination.

For Efke/Adox 25, I prefer 1+100 for 17 minutes - five inversions at the start of each minute for the first three minutes, then on inversion every three minutes. Great results every time.

(there was a url link here which no longer exists) but one example, shot with a Certo Six folder.

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford ADOX Freestyle Photographic Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab
Top Bottom