AA article

Discussion in 'Photographers' started by tac, Feb 22, 2009.

1. tac

tac Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
  2. donbga

donbga Member

Shooter:
    Large Format Pan
  3. Vaughn

Vaughn Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Not too bad, but sort of shallow for a site named "Mental floss"...more like mental fluff. Vaughn

4. CPorter

CPorter Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    tac,

AA is definitely one of my favorites for various reasons, but it's hard to put anything across about him that is new and of great interest to most people, especially those who are serious about their analog game and have been around a while; some simply don't go for him, also for various reasons. However, IMO, to any new and younger folks coming into film (and, I don't know that you are, I'm just saying), the historical impact of AA on analog photography can't be denied, IMO. His writings, can, with an open mind, teach a newcomer much.

Thanks for sharing.

5. OP
    OP
    tac

tac Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    For what it's worth, I've been a commercial photographer since 1984, trained privately in NYC, where Bob Schwalberg and Lee Friedlander were frequent visitors to the studio on 23rd St., down from the Flatiron Bldg. I spent hours talking with them both, but I would disappear into the darkroom when they started to argue too much, esp. Schwalberg. One of my high points was the time that I demonstrated a lighting technique which I developed to Mr. Friedlander. So was Gene Smith a frequent visitor, but unfortunately, he died before I showed up, so I didn't get to spend time with him; I heard some stories though.
    I ran my studio until the late 90's when I earned a Doctorate degree, and changed professions. So, no, I'm not new to the game; although a perusal of the posts reveals that many APUG's are. I simply felt that *any* news relating to analog photography should be shared- snide comments are neither necessary, nor welcome.