A brand new Super 8 camera from Kodak?

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by Ektagraphic, Jan 5, 2016.

1. Dan Fromm

Dan Fromm Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Back when, I couldn't afford 16mm. Cameras (Bolexes, mainly) weren't that expensive. Editors and projectors were affordable. The cost of film and processing was a killer. So was weight. For what I was doing, working by myself was just possible. With 16 I'd have needed a crew. I did think long and hard about a Richter ...

I took up S8 to be able to share the experience of my field trips, not to film, um, drama. I stopped shooting when doing it right go to be too much of a burden. The field trips were collecting trips and setting up for shots was time-consuming. Think about it. Setting up in the field to run 10 sec of film takes considerably longer than 10 sec.

AFAIK -- I'm out of it now, haven't been paying attention to what's available so could be mistaken -- striped S8 film is no longer made. So if you want to do S8 with sound you'll have to use camera and recorder with crystal sync. This can be retrofitted to cameras and I think Tobin is still around.

I never used a "modern" Bauer. I bought early egg-shaped ones as backups to my main camera (initially one of several Canon 814s, several models, later a Beaulieu). For many purposes, but not filming, say, birds from a distance Canon 310XLs are nearly ideal. I got wonderful footage from mine.

2. Hubigpielover

Hubigpielover Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format

Thanks for all the good advice. I think I've come to the conclusion that I have to many expensive hobbies to get into film. I have still photography, old cars/motorcycles, scuba diving. I guess this is why I don't gamble because every time I start my Fiat 2000 it is a gamble.

3. Dan Fromm

Dan Fromm Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    These days possible largish expenses that aren't absolutely necessary have to pass a test. About absolutely necessary, for example our dishwasher is making horrible noises. We paid for a service call to find out whether it could be saved, and if so how much saving it would cost. Short answer, no longer economic to repair. So I'm reconciled to buying another one. Similarly, my desktop PC recently died. Likely diagnosis, video card. So I gambled, bought one and lucked out. If it wasn't the card I'd have replaced the device and put the old drives in the new one.

The test? Would the action or purchase improve my life? Its surprising how many of the things I thought I wanted to have or do won't really improve my life.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2017
  4. Hubigpielover

Hubigpielover Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I do the same thing. It has made life better spending money on travel instead of things.