Threads
Members
Latest member
backseatpilot
Recent bookmarks

kayakerguy

Shooter
Multi Format
I have been shooting 35mm and med format for awhile, but am new to LF. I would like to know if anyone else shoots 5x7, what films they recomend, and the best sources to purchase the film. Please help. I'm having a hard time finding anyone who stocks 5x7 film, other than B&H.

Mark

removed account4

Subscriber
Shooter
Hybrid
hi mark

i have a 5x7 and use it pretty often. you might look into films from j&c, fp4 lookalike film from photowarehouse and there is a guy on ebay (mrfoto1) who sells plus-x aero film. i recently bought a few spools of the aero film and it is being cut down for 8x10.

i don't shoot color with my 5x7 but i know of people that buy 8x10 chrome film from freestyle and cut it down to 5x7 in their darkroom.

good luck!

-john

Tom Duffy

B&H, Adorama, Calumet all stock 5x7 black and white. Badger Graphic stocks all the usual B&W and a good range of color neg and transparency film.

People have very strong opinions about film choice. My personal favorite is Tri-X 320 in Pyrocat HD. A good, strong image with lots of local contrast.

Tom Hoskinson

Shooter
Multi Format
I shoot 5x7 b&W and my current sheet films are all from J&C. My primary film is Efke 100 and I also shoot J&C Classic 400 and Efke 25. I develop all of it in Pyrocat-HD.

Click on the APUG J&C Photo button.

Loose Gravel

I'm shooting HP5+ from 35mm to 8x10. Great thing about Ilford is that they have all sizes without special ordering. Freestyle Sales is a great source on the West Coast (US).

OP
OP
kayakerguy

kayakerguy

Shooter
Multi Format
Thanks for all the suggestions! I'll be doing some shopping soon.

One more question: has anyone used extremly slow speed films like the Efke 25? If so, What do you think?

Tom Hoskinson

Shooter
Multi Format
kayakerguy said:
Thanks for all the suggestions! I'll be doing some shopping soon.

One more question: has anyone used extremly slow speed films like the Efke 25? If so, What do you think?

Yes, as I mentioned previously, I shoot 5x7 Efke 25 and develop it in Pyrocat-HD. It is a very sharp, fine grained film - and unforgiving of exposure errors.

Ole

Shooter
Large Format
I use Ilford FP4+, EFKE PL100 and PL25, MACO UP100+ and a little HP5+.
I have also used Tri-X, AGFA APX100 until it vanished, and various versions of graphic film.

My main problem seems to be to get films that are slow enough for my taste.

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford Photo ADOX Freestyle Photographic Photo Warehouse Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab
Top Bottom