Members
Latest member
Hammad
Recent bookmarks

gopropak

Shooter
Medium Format
Hello all,

Thanks for APUG! Such a wealth of information and it is much appreciated. Stumbled on my dad-in-laws old k-1000 the other day and it brought back some memories from the '80's. I found I was missing the organic feel of the camera with all the digital stuff I shoot. The cocking, winding, clicking....the feeling.

I've only been shooting professionally since 2007 and only digital. I have a studio and shoot 30-40 weddings a year and 75-100 seniors. Throw some maternity, portraits and newborns and you get a sense of my life - rather hectic. It seems that the physical act of shooting has become somewhat of a process rather than an artistic expression lately. Especially this time of year when I am kinda worn out from all the shooting.

Anyway, I thought that adding a film product to my line-up would not only be lucrative but also creatively satisfying. I offer all the latest albums, press products, books, canvas & prints...just like everyone else. But, I'd like to offer a retro product at a premium price - B&W film. Not that I would shoot a wedding in film or even a senior/portrait. It would just be a couple of "signature" shots on the wedding day offered in square format. I am thinking there is some interest in a retro type of product that clients will pay a premium for.

I think that getting some film back into my workflow will help my digital photography as well by helping me slow down and think about the shots more. The film shots will be more for me than the client actually. I just hope I can shoot in such a way with film and present it such a unique way compared to my other products that they will clearly see it as a desirable product.

Well, that's where I am at right now. You can check out my portfolios at www.scotthaynephotography.com. A puzzling time at the moment but excited none the less to branch off in a new direction!

Got my eyes on a Hassy. I'll keep ya'll posted.

Scott

Jeff Kubach

Shooter
Multi Format
Hello Scott and a warm welcome to APUG. Looks like you do good work! Maybe one day you'll get more into film.:smile:

Jeff

2F/2F

Shooter
Multi Format
You don't have time for film! How about if you just use it on vacation!

dwdmguy

Shooter
Medium Format
Please allow me to pass on a couple of Wedding Photographers websites. There are a great number of these guys that shoot 100 percent film as well and they speak of their clients specifically seeking them out for this reason. Other wedding photographers, such as Riccis, shoot a hybrid. Riccis is a bit unique as he uses only Leicas.
One of the most common stories I hear is that with a 100 pct digital workflow it is easy for their client, or the viewer, to "date" their wedding album due to the common use of fads', actions and plug-ins.
http://canlasphotography.blogspot.com/
http://filmisnotdead.blogspot.com/
Dead Link Removed

P.S. I've noticed quite a great number of Film Wedding Photographers have been using a Contax 645 for their work. Riccis is very unique and very good. Also J. Canas has a very unique portfolio. I think the base reason for this is because of film and it's almost like something can can indeed show your style is different.

papagene

Membership Council
Council
Shooter
Multi Format
Scott - hello and welcome to APUG from western Massachusetts.

gene

Shooter
Medium Format
Scott,

You have a wonderful and awesome website! And even better talent!

Will shooting film help you slow down?...well maybe. But, I think slowing down may take a little more than just film. Will shoot some retro (film) help sales? Well, marketing will.. and film can be a very good direction in helping you achieve your 2 goals; slowing down and sales.

I have shot a few weddings using B&W film only and making contact prints and a fine art book with the pics. It is much more fun than digital that is for sure.....oh, and a lot more work. Shooting film would definitely get you out of a funk. There is a fellow, you may know him, that shoots film only weddings....Jose Villa.

When a film photo is displayed, I think there are certain tangible difference that can be appreciated by certain audiences. So, give it a try.

As slowing down goes, well, my secret was to start shooting with manaul focus lens (Zeis) only. I sold all the zooms and autofocus lenes and switched. Let me tell you, it has changed everything. I am now much more part of the process (experience). I am now looking at the image while I make it...meaning, I watch it being focused and at the same time I am framing. I enjoy the rhythm more and get a much simpler photo. I still shoot from the hip and everything. Its fun to rely on a since of personal accomplishment as opposed to auto-focus. Perharps, this will help you slow down and enjoy the process, also.

Good luck and let us know what you do.

Anthony

keithwms

Shooter
Multi Format
Welcome and enjoy! Do look into hybridphoto as well.

RE: gear, my advice would be to consider an rz pro IId or 645 afd3, both of which would allow you to shoot film and digital from the same body.

Ken N

Shooter
Multi Format
Film isn't "better" or "worse" than digital, it is "different". When doing an apples to apples comparison of technical issues, digital usually wins out. But when comparing the intangibles, film has a very strong play in professional photography.

What you are caught up in is the assembly-line process of professional photography. Churn and Burn is what you are doing right now. Granted, it pays the bills, but it isn't what you signed up for when you chose photography as a career. Shooting film won't help with productivity in most cases, but what it does do is give you an option to offer a premium priced product which either allows you to increase the bottom line or reduce the number of bookings.

As a part-timer, I choose the assignments I want to do, and also shoot film for the pricing advantage it offers. Besides, by shooting film, I'm less inclined to want to buy every brand-new camera that comes out.

I also shoot to a "look". Trust me, I'm no Riccis, but I prefer the 35mm B&W film look and haven't found a digital solution yet that gives me what Tri-X or Delta 400 optically printed gives me.

Ken

OP
OP
gopropak

gopropak

Shooter
Medium Format
Thanks for the warm welcome and advice everyone! I have investigated many all-film wedding photogs...and hav NO desire to go that route! I am thinking maybe a roll of 120 per wedding and a couple of shots during a typical senior shoot. I'd be a nervous wreck shooting an entire wedding w/film. Not sure how Villa, Canlas, Ricci and others do it!

Scott S. ! Good to see you on here. Sorry I didn't mention my film idea while I had you on the phone the other day. It was just something I was mulling around at that time.

Is anyone doing what I am thinking about? i.e. selling film prints at a premium price compared to your digital offerings? Any success? I'd be curious.

It's not really about the money when it comes to my dabble in film tho - just a creative experiment that may become a viable product in my lineup.

Scott

OP
OP
gopropak

gopropak

Shooter
Medium Format
Update: Picked up a 500CM w/80mm & 120 back! It is in amazing condition for a 25 yo camera. Taking a few pics today w/ some Tmax 400. It's a lot smaller than I thought- it fits right in my Canon 70-200 2.8 case that came with the lens. Sits on my hip rather nicely on the belt. Scott

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford ADOX Freestyle Photographic Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab
Top Bottom