5-Packs

Discussion in '[Partner] ILFORD PHOTO' started by JWMster, Jan 3, 2018.

1. JWMster

JWMster Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Finding that my preferred ILFORD films in 120 rolls are more expensive than my favorite KODAK because the latter offers a price break on 5-packs, I've wondered why ILFORD doesn't follow suit. Just an idea. Something to think about. Thanks!

2. RattyMouse

RattyMouse Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Long ago I asked this of Simon when he was here representing Ilford. His response was that costs for Ilford are actually higher for them to offer 5 packs. I thought that was a shame since I always bought Kodak and Fuji 5 packs. Much easier to travel around with those packages.

3. locutus

locutus Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    For travel you could always get one of those plastic 5 or 20 film cases, i use a 20 roll one with one side being exposed films (i rewind leader out, so it helps to separate).

4. cmacd123

cmacd123 Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Ilford's machine does individual boxes, or can be bypassed to do bulk loose rolls. the 5 packs would probably require some manual intervention. that would quickly offset the cost savings (if any) from fewer boxes.

Also adding an extra SKU might mean that some dealers would only carry one version, and if you could only buy the 5 pack, that might discourage some sales. and of course their would be more chance for stock to go stale.

5. pentaxuser

pentaxuser Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Interestingly at least one of our U.K. retailers sells Ilford 120 in packs of 10 at a reduction. Looking at the site these packs do not appear to be custom-made as in one pack enclosing 10 or 5 rolls but simply 10 rolls packed together in a transparent wrap. It suggests to be that the retailer has simply purchased a wrapping machine which puts cellophane around 10 rolls

I find it difficult to believe that Ilford couldn't do the same if it wanted to and still make it pay or at least break even.

In matters other than technical what Ilford decides to do, now it is a new company, can be quite different from what it would or wouldn't do in Simon Galley's time. These kind of things, it seems to me, are not set in stone.

pentaxuser

6. RattyMouse

RattyMouse Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    When I was in China, Ilford film that I bought from the local store was sold in wrapped boxes of 10. I'm sure they come that way from Ilford. Every variant of their film was packaged the same.

7. cmacd123

cmacd123 Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    ILFORD does ship ALL their films in poly wrapped packs of ten Boxes. Even the Kentmere 35mm comes that way. It is up to the deler if they are willing to discount the price is you buy it that way, Tradionaly the package is refered to as a "Brick of Film" and ten of those Bricks will come in a cardboard box. Kodak does the same sort of thing. I think I have received Foma Film packed in tens also.

in the 60s Kodak used twenty rolls in black paper.

8. cmacd123

cmacd123 Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm